• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I get points on my Canadian license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ed-d

What is the name of your state?ny
I was pulled over for speeding last Saturday and was charged with doing 80 in a 65 on the I90 westbound. I am considering fighting it because I know I was only around 70. However, I am currently working in the CNY area and llive in an apartment but my home is in Ontario. Assuming that I am unsuccesful and get nailed for the full fine etc does anyone know if I am liable for penalty points as in Canada. I do not think this is the case but would welcome any feedback. I would like to post details of my case when I get all my facts straight and would welcome feedback on my chances of success in fighting this in the courts.

Regards

Ed

lwpat

New York is one fo the few states that does report tickets to Canada. Strange thing is they do not report to any of the states.

Happy Trails

lwpat said:
New York is one fo the few states that does report tickets to Canada. Strange thing is they do not report to any of the states.
I thought it was if you received a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec the points could appear on your NYS driver record. I did not find where any other Provinces were in agreement with NY.

I also couldn't find anything on whether or not Canada considers traffic violations that happen in the United States as part of their point violation.

The Driver License Agreement (DLA) has been written by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA).

They plan on replacing it with the Driver License Compact (DLC) and the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC). Which plans on expanding the agreement to include Provinces in Canada, Mexico and other parts of North America. I have not heard nor did I find that this agreement has gone through yet.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">