• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i sue the MVA/DMV or Police?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Psikrotic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

i was stopped outside my work place for a tail light that was out
when she ran my ID it said i had a bench warrant from 2014 for 3 unpaid traffic tickets
i deffinelty paid all of those tickets with my mother present who was proof

i spent my whole morning in a holding cell for a traffic violation i paid for in 2014 and the MVA/DMV didn't do their job & finish the paperwork or lift my suspension

i lost time at work, so did my mother

can i sue any of them?
i think the technical term is "Punitive Damages"

FlyingRon

You can't sue the police. You were driving with a busted taillight (legal stop) and you had warrants (valid arrest).

You won't get any where with the MVA either. Apparently, you let your tickets slide far enough that you got at least the notice of suspension. While yes, paying the district court for the tickets should have lifted the suspension it was encumbant on you NOT TO DRIVE until you verify your suspension is lifted.

You're not even getting compensatory damages let alone having this rise to the level that justifies punitive damages.

S

shelbyj1990

Lawyer

Talk to a lawyer in person or phone and see if you have a case. It's as easy as doing this but much more effective, trust me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">