• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a judge change a ruling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnleddo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I received a speeding ticket. In the middle of my closing argument, the judge interrupted and announced she was finding me not guilty because the prosecution failed to submit certain evidence. The police officer said he could get that evidence and the judge said ok. When the police officer left the court, I objected that the judge couldn't change a ruling once issued. The judge said she could, allowed the officer to return with the evidence and then found me guilty. I have appealed this. It seems that this violates the double jeopardy provision of the Constitution since the judge didn't deny making a ruling of not guilty. It also seems to violate the canons of judicial conduct since the judge essentially told the prosecution what it needed to do to win the case and then allowed the prosecution to do so.

Is my reasoning correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">