• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my record be cleared so i can buy a gun and carry ?what about voting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

old salt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)
Georgia
I was arrested in fla in 1984, just before getting out of the Navy, and charged with reckless driving(dropped)
Attempting to flee, elude convicted ( per records)
I hired a lawyer as I felt the charges were wrong. I did race a deputy and I pulled over and waited for him when done. Told this to my lawyer, also that I had 2 witnesses. He told me not to worry I had never been in trouble before and he could get charges dropped to careless driving. That was a long time ago. I never recieved probation etc. I stayed in jail over nigh until bailed out and went to court a few weeks later,fined a little over $300.00 and i thought that was it.
I now live in Ga. I went to buy a hand gun in 1995 or 1996 and at first was turned down and then was approved after talking with GBI person over the phone and was able to purchase the hand gun. However i was told by this GBI lady that if i wanted to purchase another gun in the future she suggested I get my record corrected. I had told her that i was charged for the offenses and to my knowledge, from my lawyers mouth at the time I had only been charged with careless driving and everything else was dropped i had served no time other than a night in jail and a 300 and some dollar fine. I recently did a background check on ,myself and do see where it says i was convicted of flee att elude. Is there anything i can do??I never realized this was on my record until i bought the hand gun.
I don't remember the lawyers name that I used and how can i find out that piece of info also:
Thank you for any and all advice

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So when you paid your fine didn't you read anywhere what that fine was for? You didn't get any disposition documents from the court?

You have lived with this close to 30 years now and it apparently hasn't affected you at all, except for a recent handgun purchase. Sounds like this won't affect your future and obviously even the GBI didn't consider it a factor in barring you from a gun purchase.

Certainly if you already bought a gun you can but another - maybe with a brief hassle. Or maybe you can make do with the one.

Solving this may take more time and money than it's worth - if it can even be fixed to your satisfaction. I say move on and be done with it.

old salt

Maybe i should let sleeping dogs lie. I have bought plenty of guns to last a lifetime and the only reason to buy any others would be for my children, I currently vote, hunt, fish and all that.
I went to court the same day I got out of the navy and moved right after that.I never received any documents from my lawyer or anyone else.I had paid my lawyer previously and when the judge said I could go, right after I paid my fine, I did and was on my way.With a heartfelt handshake with my lawyer of course.
The lawyer did go up to the judge when my case was called and talked with him where i could not hear and immediately after that was when the judge stated i could leave once i paid my fine, which was only 300 and some dollars.
I just know I've lived a good life, always helped others and this has been just something that bothers me since i bought my last handgun.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, maybe your kids can make do without you buying them guns!

If you bought guns before then why did this become an issue all of a sudden with THIS purchase?

Honestly, I think you're making too much of this. As I said, it apparently has not affected your life at all. You were a kid and made a mistake - from the sounds of it you didn't pay a great price for it either and made out well since then. The incident didn't make you a bad person, you were just a kid who made an error.

I really don't think it should be bothering you almost 30 years later. I would leave well enough alone, but that's just me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">