• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can NY trump my home state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freepeter123

What is the name of your state? mass

I live in mass for the last 10 yrs and have a valid mass drivers liscence

I was driving in NYC and was pulled over for a moving violation. The officer checked her computer and i had two outstanding tickets in ny from a couple years ago-still had my 10yr old ny addesss- she told me NY had suspended by license and proceeded to arrest/ process me.

question is whether my valid mass license(I was never notified that NY had "suspended") trumps or if ny was correct.
thanks Peter

JETX

freepeter123 said:
What is the name of your state? mass

I live in mass for the last 10 yrs and have a valid mass drivers liscence

I was driving in NYC and was pulled over for a moving violation. The officer checked her computer and i had two outstanding tickets in ny from a couple years ago-still had my 10yr old ny addesss- she told me NY had suspended by license and proceeded to arrest/ process me.

question is whether my valid mass license(I was never notified that NY had "suspended") trumps or if ny was correct.
thanks Peter
What do you mean by 'trump'??
You provide no defense to the NY warrants, so presumably admit guilt to them. And your NY license was suspended as a result of your warrants. There is no 'trump' or 'get out of jail' free card.
What is likely to happen is..... your MA license will be suspended/revoked due to the outstanding NY suspension.

'Google'.... "Drivers License Compact'

freepeter123

Mass trump

My mass liscense has been unaffected for the three plus yrs that these ticks were outstanding.NY and mass are not reciprocal. By trump I mean that my mass liscense enables me to legally drive anywhere in the us. I do not have a separate NY liscence so can NY suspend that portion of my mass liscence that only pertains to driving in NY?

Yes, they can suspend your driving privledges in THEIR state. You Mass. Dl does nothing to give you driving rights in NY.

JETX

You're correct. Massachusetts is NOT a member of the 'drivers License Compact'.

However, both states ARE members of the NRVC:
The Non-Resident Violator Compact requires member states to suspend the drivers license of those who get traffic tickets for moving violations in other states and fail to pay them. The compact is not supposed to include non-moving violations such as expired inspection stickers, equipment violations such as window tinting or parking violations. A member state may choose to voluntarily suspend a license of a person who does not pay an out-of-state ticket for an equipment violation such as loud exhaust.

Member States Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

Bottom line... if the NY suspension is for traffic tickets (as indicated by the suspension of your NY driving PRIVILEDGE!) AND if Massachusetts is noticed of it (as is likely with your 'new' action), then Massachussetts will/should revoke your MA license as noted above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">