• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone give me advice/help, please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SweeteyPi

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? OK

I was turning left and had a green light (not an arrow) and I hit a truck that was also turning left. I was watching the corner convenience store closely since drivers frequently drive out from that lot at high speeds (I live behind this store and see this all the time). I was turning left from A street onto B, going south. I hit a car turning left from B onto A, going east. He and his girlfriend, in a separate car behind him, said that they had a green arrow.

It was late at night and the timing of the lights was dependent upon the cars waiting at the intersection rather than being timed. The interval between green-yellow-red can be literally as short as a couple of seconds. The only conclusion that I can make is that the light changed as I was entering the intersection and since I was concentrating on watching for traffic. I wasn't trying to beat the light since the wait-time is never very long at that time of night (about 10:30).

I did not receive any moving violation tickets. I did receive a ticket for not having insurance (Incredibly stupid on my part - it had lapsed the month before). I am waiting for the report to see if he received any tickets. My car is totaled (about $1300 worth). had injury (soft tissue) to hand and chest. I missed a few days at work and this has slowed down my progress on completing my degree which is necessary for me to have to be able to start a new job next month. I've gone through my medical insurance and taken medical leave because I didn't think that my injuries and cost to my car was worth filing a complaint since I've been told that will increase my insurance costs and my student health care would pay for most of the doctor's bills and I would have to hire an attorney as well as hiring someone to help me move now.

His truck was probably totaled as well – the driver’s door was dented and the tow truck driver thought the axle was broken. The truck was an older model as well. More importantly, I received a letter from his attorney asking for payment of his medical bills.

My main question is: What is the usual policy for determining fault in cases like this? Since I probably entered the intersection without allowing enough time to clear, and since his girlfriend acts as a witness, I realize that I'll be probably assuming some % of the liability up front. I don't think that the guy and his girlfriend were lying, but the last thing I saw as I reached the intersection was a green circle. Is he also at fault for not waiting for the intersection to clear?

I realize that some people seem to believe that technicalities can get them "off the hook," but I am trying to understand how these decisions are made. I know I'll have to hire an attorney, but hope to settle things fairly.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">