• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nunya77

What is the name of your state?I'm in Georgia. I had a suspended registration on my car. I went and got insurance on it and was stopped on my way to the tag office. I was ticketed for driving with suspended registration. I went to court. I pleaded guilty and the judge said "did you know if you plead guilty I have to suspend your liscense today?" I said no. So she tore up my guilty plea and gave me another court date. I went back on that date and pleaded nolo. The judge gave me a fine and asked could I pay that today. I said no and he gave me 4 days community service. I eventually paid that off. Now a couple of months later I get a letter from motor vehicle safety saying my liscense is suspended for no less than 120 days, I have to take a defensive driving course and pay a 200 dollar fine to get it back! Why did they not just suspend it at court? Why now? :confused:

d mcbride

I haven't looked up the law in your state but from the sounds of it the paper work from your final plea made it to the state office and they are merely following procedure.

nunya77

Why now?

She could have taken it in court but didn't. Why now are they calling for it? I have to drive my kids to school. I'm a single mother of 4. What am I supposed to do? This is so wrong. Word of advice- never move to Georgia. This place is screwed up!

nunya77

No, the charge was driving with suspended registration. My registation on my car was suspended. I had just got insurance again about an hour before I got stopped. I was on my way to straighten out the registration. I had current insurance when I was stopped.
By the way- on the notice it says- "The liscense cannot be reinstated prior to any court revocation or suspension." - The court never suspended my liscense or even told me that it would be suspended.

d mcbride

By David Colmans, Executive Director

Georgia Insurance Information Service (GIIS)

The first major external test of the new Georgia database to verify proof of automobile insurance is underway.

Police computers at the dispatch centers across the state and law enforcement vehicles with on- board computers have begun displaying the auto insurance verification data from the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety (DMVS).

The testing and production data uploads continue between insurers and DMVS. As of this writing, more than one-third of the estimated vehicle identification numbers from insured Georgia vehicles have been uploaded to the DMVS database. Insurers continue on nearly a daily basis to add their book of business to the database. Eventually, that will mean about six million vehicles will be accounted for by the database.

nunya77

my registration was suspended for lapse in insurance coverage due to the car being inoperable at the time. Then I moved from one city to another and forwarded mail was weeks late. So I was suspended registration weeks before I knew.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">