• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this traffic ticket be dismissed (NJ)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DEOKIE

I received a ticket for wreckless driving in NJ, the officer wrote my plate down and then mailed the ticket to my home. My mother is the registered owner of the vehicle, therefore it came in her name. Also, he didn't provide the correct model of my vehicle, instead he wrote "wagon". My mom went to court and I didn't (cause it was for her and we wanted to play it that way), but the officer showed up and told the judge that he didn't mean to write the ticket for my mom and that it was for her daughter (me). The judge told my mom to get a lawyer and we have a new court date. What can we do, if anything? I don't mind taking responsibility for the ticket, if i have to, but i feel like the ticket has no merit with wrong information.

OHRoadwarrior

Not intending to be snarky however, people are expected to engage in wreckless driving. You mean reckless driving. The type of vehicle does not matter. The summons recipient has been corrected. Now that the feel good issues are handled, please clearly tell us what all the facts are and the citation code. We will try to assist. Please try to be complete and concise when relating the story.:)

W

Willlyjo

I received a ticket for wreckless driving in NJ, the officer wrote my plate down and then mailed the ticket to my home. My mother is the registered owner of the vehicle, therefore it came in her name. Also, he didn't provide the correct model of my vehicle, instead he wrote "wagon". My mom went to court and I didn't (cause it was for her and we wanted to play it that way), but the officer showed up and told the judge that he didn't mean to write the ticket for my mom and that it was for her daughter (me). The judge told my mom to get a lawyer and we have a new court date. What can we do, if anything? I don't mind taking responsibility for the ticket, if i have to, but i feel like the ticket has no merit with wrong information.
I don't understand why the officer didn't just stop you instead of writing your plate number down. You are either guilty of wreckless driving or not. If so, accept the consequences. If not, oppose the ticket. Simple as that.

Antigone*

The ticket has merit. The officer may have made an error or two but that does not negate the violation. Tell mom to get an attorney to deal with the issue. Had you and mom been honest this would not have turned into the mess you've found yourself in.

Give mom a high five for teaching her child the virtues of dishonesty:rolleyes:

LdiJ

The ticket has merit. The officer may have made an error or two but that does not negate the violation. Tell mom to get an attorney to deal with the issue. Had you and mom been honest this would not have turned into the mess you've found yourself in.

Give mom a high five for teaching her child the virtues of dishonesty:rolleyes:
I had a similar situation and went to court and the DA dismissed the tickets. Of course, we were fighting the tickets because one of them was extremely unfair (the officer demanded to know if anyone in the car had cigarettes and one of the passengers did and gave them to the officer, and then the officer wrote my daughter a ticket for being a minor in possession of tobacco).

Anyway, the officer did the same thing, copied my name right off the registration. When I showed up for court the prosecutor immediately dismissed the case.

Antigone*

I had a similar situation and went to court and the DA dismissed the tickets. Of course, we were fighting the tickets because one of them was extremely unfair (the officer demanded to know if anyone in the car had cigarettes and one of the passengers did and gave them to the officer, and then the officer wrote my daughter a ticket for being a minor in possession of tobacco).

Anyway, the officer did the same thing, copied my name right off the registration. When I showed up for court the prosecutor immediately dismissed the case.
My issue isn't the ticket or its merit. It is mom and daughter attempting to get it dismissed through deception. I'm sure you didn't encourage your daughter in that manner;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">