• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you go to court, have your fine reduced and still go to traffic school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1995red318i

What is the name of your state? CA

i was driving through a small town that was kind of confusing to find your way through and back to the highway. it was about midnight and the only people on the road were me and this cop. i knew he was behind me too! In addition, i do not even live in the county i was given a citation in, so i wasn't too familar with the roads.

i obeyed all traffic laws and such, and he followed me all the way for about 5 minutes. i finally figure out how to get back to the highway, and i see a sign pointing to an on-ramp. well apparently there was a stop sign i didn't see and i just put on my blinker and made the right hand turn.

he immediatly pulled me over, then proceeded to grill me( you know, typical cop on his high horse stuff ) wrote me a ticket and told me to leave. he didn't even let me talk.

he put something down like "blantantly ran stop sign" and under est. speed he put 7. 7mph!!! i tried to duplicate that speed and my car almost died!

this guy made me very nervous cause he followed all through town and there was nobody else on the road. i know i slipped up because i was so worried about him back there and apparently he got what he wanted too.

so now i have a $150 ticket. i think its complete bs what happened to me, but i am eligible for traffic school so i am not worried about my insurance, but i was wondering if you can go to traffic school AND have your fine reduced.

the way they worded the letter i got was kind of confusing whether or not you can.

i am not going to deny running the stop light, i just think it was quite unfair in how the situation occurred. i don't think the situation warrants the sum of the consequence.

can anyone help?

thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You have no cause to bellyache. The fact is, you failed to stop at the stop sign (red light?).

Yes, the consequences fit the infraction.

Also, you'll pay the fine and pay for traffic school if you don't want this appearing on your record (read, have your insurance increased).

IAAL

1995red318i

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You have no cause to bellyache. The fact is, you failed to stop at the stop sign (red light?).

Yes, the consequences fit the infraction.

Also, you'll pay the fine and pay for traffic school if you don't want this appearing on your record (read, have your insurance increased).

IAAL
no reason? the bloody cop followed me around making me very nervous and finally it coerced a slip up.

i could see the point if he just pulled out behind me on the street before, but he definetly followed me until he could get me to do something.

i mean, when i walked out to my car on the street the cop was behind me with his headlights on...just hanging out there, waiting around.
it seemed kind of wierd...i looked at the cop, then proceeded around my car to make sure everything was okay. it appeared so, so i got into my car. when i started it, he pulled out and up the street.

as soon as i turned around from my parking spot, the cop turned around at the point he was at on the street.

he then proceeded to follow behind me for about 5 minutes through each street. there was no one else on the road.

thats some bull**** right there man....he knew exactly what he was doing and he got exactly what he wanted! i obeyed all traffic laws and at the very end he got me cause i was so nervous.

at no point did i deny rolling through the stop sign at 7 mph, i just think the overall situation had an impact on the outcome.

i am going to go to traffic school and i know i have to pay for that. but my question is that is it possible to go to traffic school AND have your fine reduced in court. or is it, if you want to go to traffic school then you have to pay the fine amount?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Tell it to the judge. The judge has heard it all before.

However, the reason why I'm writing again is that there's more bad news for you concerning the fine. When you're found guilty, and told to pay the fine, the California Government Code (see Government Code section 76000, Government Code section 70372) allows the judge to add 170% more to the base fine as an "Enhancement" to pay for court administration. Do the math.

Oh, and then to add insult to injury, the court is also required to levy a $20.00 court security surcharge on top of all that!

Going through that stop sign is going to be exceedingly costly.

I knew you'd love that little tidbit of information.

IAAL

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE) am going to go to traffic school and i know i have to pay for that. but my question is that is it possible to go to traffic school AND have your fine reduced in court. or is it, if you want to go to traffic school then you have to pay the fine amount?(QUOTE)

You have to pay the fine. In the state of California, The only thing traffic school does is lower the points against your license.

R

Rentiki

I recall getting a ticket in Orange County awhile back for not stopping at a stop sign. It was a new intersection that was once just a two-way stop. They turned it into a four way. I didnt see it either and got a ticket. I appeared in court and plead not guilty. upon doing this, I waived all rights to traffic school which in turn would have eliminated it from my record. I knew this but was sure I was going to win. I didnt. However the fine was around $50.00, period. No other fees, fines or whatever. BUT, no way could I then choose traffic school. So its either: A: Go to Traffic School and pay up the butt, (like the other person posted) OR B: Plead NOT GUILTY, present your case in front of the judge and the officer that sited you. If you win, Whooray!! If you lose, it goes on your record permantly and you pay a minimal fine. End of story.
So you have to ask yourself this question; Is your record bad enough to try and save it by paying buttloads of cash for school, or is it?

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)If you lose, it goes on your record permantly and you pay a minimal fine. End of story.
So you have to ask yourself this question; Is your record bad enough to try and save it by paying buttloads of cash for school, or is it?(QUOTE)

I think you would be amazed as to how much this persons insurance premium will go up if he chooses not to pay for traffic school.

It also does not go on your record permantly.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

How long ago is "awhile back"? More than 10 years?

By the way, if our writer loses at trial, she pays the original fine, plus enhancement, plus the surcharge. You don't get a "free ride" all because you had a trial and lost.

Also, you didn't take into account the increased insurance premiums our writer will have to pay IF she doesn't take traffic school, of IF she doesn't win at trial (very rarely does anyone win at trial in traffic court).

IAAL

CdwJava

It has been my experience in CA courts that traffic school is usually permitted only when the defendant pleads guilty or no contest to the charge(s). If they choose to fight the charge they usually have the option of traffic school removed from the table.

Chances are the poster will likely face a minimal or average fine for the county as well as the fees for court time and traffic school - IF he pleads guilty or no contest.

Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CdwJava said:
Chances are the poster will likely face a minimal or average fine for the county as well as the fees for court time and traffic school - IF he pleads guilty or no contest.

Carl

My response:

Carl, what's your secret to avoid the 170% "enhancement" and "surcharge"?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">