• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sue over incorrect speed limit signs/tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majormarkd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Can someone sue the city police or city itself for having the incorrect speed limit signs posted?

The city police maintain that the speed limit is 20mph in unposted zones, and that there are signs on every highway into the city stating this. These signs do exist, but the police clearly have no idea what they say, as the signs clearly read "30mph except where posted."

After speaking with the City Clerk, the ordinance changed 6+ months ago to 20mph but they still have not changed the signs to reflect that. They did however "post an article in the county paper and put an ad on the TV back when the ordinance changed."

How can people who travel through or are visiting family/friends be expect to know those signs are incorrect? Not to mention someone who didn't watch TV or read the paper?

Potentially hundreds of tickets have been issued incorrectly in this time for those reason, resulting in thousands of dollars in revenue for the city and lost income for the taxpayers.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Can someone sue the city police or city itself for having the incorrect speed limit signs posted?
What do the police have to do with the signs and their posting? You can initiate legal action for just about anything - doesn't mean you stand a chance of winning.

After speaking with the City Clerk, the ordinance changed 6+ months ago to 20mph but they still have not changed the signs to reflect that. They did however "post an article in the county paper and put an ad on the TV back when the ordinance changed."
Did you look at the ordinance? Maybe it doesn't require signs at all.

Is it possible to sue anyone for this negligence?
This isn't negligence.

Potentially hundreds of tickets have been issued incorrectly in this time for those reason, resulting in thousands of dollars in revenue for the city and lost income for the taxpayers.
You have no idea how many tickets have been issued for this during this time period.

That would be up to the courts to adjudicate. Maybe you should contact one of these local newspapers or TV stations and complain to their consumer reporters. Or better yet, call and complain to your elected representatives.

davidmcbeth3

Signage is required; usually at the main entrances into town.

But you cannot sue for others; its called "lack of standing". You can argue in traffic court and/or civil court if you think you have a cause of action regarding your ticket.

davidmcbeth3

BS - prove it.

Again, BS.

The OP can believe Zigner if they choose, its a free country. Everyone can be free to listen to nonsense. And I don't have to prove anything, Zigner's answer is always "prove it" or "pay it" or "get a lawyer". I really think its a random answer you get from this poster. Maybe a monkey at a keyboard...Good job monkey!

majormarkd

I guess the issue is - Whats the laws regarding the signage and ticketing? the signage is there, it just states different speeds than what the supposed ordinance is and what the police are ticketing drivers for.

its a small town in MO so there are no speed limit signs in any residential area. so you have to go off of the posted signs at the city limits... which are "30mph except where posted"

apparently the police and city hall changed the ordinance to 20mph except where posted 6 months ago and never changed the signage. they believe that a post in a county newspaper (6 months ago) and some run of a tv ad (doubtful that really happened) is enough to deem the public educated enough on the local speed limit to ignore the signs and drive 10mph slower than what MULTIPLE SIGNS on the 2 BUSIEST roads, and only ways into the city i might add, state.

in terms of contacting local news / elected officials, I have written some letters (emails these days i guess) to them in hopes that someone can at least get CORRECT SIGNAGE pushed, and possibly get an apology or refund for people who, in my opinion (and what i believe the opinion of the majority would be) were ticketed incorrectly.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If, in fact, there was anyone ticketed incorrectly the courts would adjudicate those cases based on the available evidence.

Do you know if anyone has been cited for violating that law and challenged their cases in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">