• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canceled license due to DOT type-O

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

powerhouse

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Basicly my DL was canceled due to my social security number being wrong I was ticketed for this and need to appear in court on the 20th.

Background information and DOT dealings (sorry for long post):

Dear DOT,

While traveling out of town Sunday night (4/9/05) I was stopped by a Scott county Sheriff. He informed me that my driver’s license was canceled and issued a ticked with a court date of April 20th. He also said I should talk to the DOT to find out if there was a mistake due to it being “canceled” and not revoked or barred and if there was a mistake the Iowa DOT could contact Scott County I would not have to appear in court.

Today (4/12/05) I spoke with your office and a representative explained my license was canceled due my social security number not matching my DL# and for it to be reissued I would need to present my social security card. They also explained that a letter containing this information was mailed. I currently do not have a social security card but applied for one today and should be receiving it in the mail within two weeks.

Your type-o has currently put a hardship on my family and I would appreciate if you could assist with any of the following:

· Contact the Davenport clerk’s office and explain your mistake, so that I do not have to make a court appearance. As suggested by the Sheriff.

· See if there is anything you can do to reinstate my drivers license without a physical social security card (possible temp, or work permit)

· Fax (preferred) your records of this case to edited or mail to edited so that it arrives before April 20th

DOT reply:

Mr.

As what was told to you over the phone is correct. You will need to appear at your local drivers license station with an actual Social Security Card. We cannot issue you anything until that is done.

My reply:

Is there anything you can do to assist me with my other requests? The sheriff who issued the ticket said if this was a mistake which I assume a type-o by the DOT would be classified as, that you could contact the Clerk’s Office to resolve this. Also I am requesting your case details on this matter, a personal signed document would help me if I need to present to a judge.

DOT again:

Mr.
Unfortunately until you provide a Social Security Card we are unable to do anything further. If you have further questions you may contact us at 1-800-532-1121.

:confused: Ok so the DOT is ether unwillling or unable to help me even recieve my records to present the judge.

Do I plead guilty, because I was infact driving without a DL?

what are the peniltys for this type of violation?

Should i hire a lawyer?

Thank you in advance.

powerhouse

Because I do not have a SS card, I have applied for one and they said I should recieve it within two weeks. Which would be after the court date. Even if I were to receive my licence back I still have these pending charges.

efflandt

If you cannot get replacement social security card in time, I would think that if you provided paycheck stub wih SS#, W-2 form, state income tax record, etc. they could sort of confirm your correct SS# with whatever your state department of revenue is.

Is your SS# printed on your license (like it is here in IL), and if so, did you not notice it was incorrect?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">