• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't find NY case law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruce

On speedingticketcentral.com, under New York Speedy Trial,
they refer to People v Thorpe; and People v Wertheimer.
These state that a traffic offense must be dealt with within 180 days.
I can't find these cases transcripts anywhere.
Can anyone help me locate them??
My trial date is March 22nd - some 18 months after being ticketed.
Thanks.

JETX

Bruce said:
Thanks.
The online NY Supreme Court records for public access only go back to about 2001. Your cases were decided in 1994 and 1986. You will need to access a public law library, or make friends with a local attorney.

seniorjudge

Bruce said:
Thanks.
You don't want transcripts (the court reporter's record of stuff actually said during the trial); you will want the reports of the cases. I found the cites (show the cites to a librarian at a law library).

New York Speedy Trial
In many New York traffic courts it is taking up to a year for your speeding ticket trial to be scheduled. New York traffic judges normally rule that the right to a speedy trial does not apply to traffic infractions. If you do not object to your trial date you are considered to have waived your right to a speedy trial. If you want to assert this right you must timely file an objection with the court.

In People v Thorpe, 160 Misc.2d 558; 613 N.Y.S.2d 795 (1994), the Supreme Court, Appellate Term, Second Department, unequivocally stated:

_In answer to the defendant_s assertion in his affidavit of errors that his constitutional right to a speedy trial had been violated, the return of the court merely asserted that the right to a speedy trial did not apply to a traffic violation. This assertion is incorrect, since the constitutional right to a speedy trial applies to all prosecutions (People v Wertheimer, NYLJ, June 5, 1986 at 15, col 5 [App. Term, 2d & 11th Jud Dists])._

emphasis supplied

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/New-York-speeding-ticket.html

Keep in mind that this is a commercial site and they are selling something; I am not vouching for them in any way.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">