• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can't pay fines with cash?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tistics1981

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

City: Farmers Branch

I recently recieved a "ticket" from a photo enforced red light camera.
On the ticket it says I cannot pay cash, not even in person.

I was under the impression that the government has to accept cash as a payment for fines?

I have no checking account, and the credit cards are maxed. I can pay with a money order, however money is tight and I don't like the idea of paying a third party (be it a bank, 7-11, or whatever) so that I can pay this fine.

I find it strange that I'm not able to pay cash for this...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

CdwJava

I suspect they do not want you to send cash through the mail, but I do no believe they can deny your right to pay cash in person ... "all debts public and private" and such. But, I know of no law that requires anyone to accept cash even though it makes sense that they should be required to accept it.

However, we are fast on our way to a cashless society anyway.

- Carl

The Occultist

However, we are fast on our way to a cashless society anyway.
It's true. Perhaps not the best example, but there are a couple of stores in Las Vegas, one of which is a very nice cigar shop, that are cashless stores; you can only pay with plastic, and they keep no money whatsoever in the store.

mommyof4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

City: Farmers Branch

I recently recieved a "ticket" from a photo enforced red light camera.
On the ticket it says I cannot pay cash, not even in person.

I was under the impression that the government has to accept cash as a payment for fines?

I have no checking account, and the credit cards are maxed. I can pay with a money order, however money is tight and I don't like the idea of paying a third party (be it a bank, 7-11, or whatever) so that I can pay this fine.

I find it strange that I'm not able to pay cash for this...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure that you are reading the instructions carefully and fully understand them? When I lived in and recieved a citation in Rowlett, they would ONLY accept cash for the fine.

Tistics1981

thanks for your reply :)

I thought that also, and I've paid almost all my fines before with cash in person at the court clerk.

This is my first ticket in this particular city (Farmers Branch), and it says that I have to pay it (in person) at a Customer Service Center in a different city (Plano). It goes on to say that cash is not accepted at the Customer Service Center.

I've never had a ticket before that you can't pay at the Municipal Court and it seems strange...

edit to add:
I could understand a private store not taking cash, being a private enterprise they could deal in only jelly beans if they wanted, lol... But I thought the government HAD to accept legal US cash...

And yes, I've read it several times over to be sure I could scan it if ya'll would prefer...

Last edited:

racer72

Saw something on Judge Judy a few weeks ago that is relevant to this. A landlord rented to a tenant, the lease specified rent must be paid by check or money order, cash is not accepted. Tenant tries to pay next months rent with cash thinking it must be accepted, payment is returned. Tenant then decides to not pay rent. Landlord sued for rent and both end up on TV. Judge Judy sided with the landlord. There are no statutory requirements for any creditor to accept cash as a payment of method. The statement on bills about being legal tender means that it is a valid method of paying a debt, it is not a government requirement that it must be accepted. When I had my limosine business, I accepted credit cards only for payment, I did not accept cash, checks, money orders or any other method of payment. A few complained but it was never an issue.

As far as the OP's current financial problems, that is a result of your own doing, as was the ticket. Part of the laws that allows the government to grant us the privelige of driving motor vehicles it that we will follow all laws, rules and statutes that come with this privelige. So in a highly twisted roundabout way, you agreed to the stipulation that cash would not be accepted as a method of paying tickets. You can always give the state back your license if you disagree with this.

mommyof4

thanks for your reply :)

I thought that also, and I've paid almost all my fines before with cash in person at the court clerk.

This is my first ticket in this particular city (Farmers Branch), and it says that I have to pay it (in person) at a Customer Service Center in a different city (Plano). It goes on to say that cash is not accepted at the Customer Service Center.

I've never had a ticket before that you can't pay at the Municipal Court and it seems strange...

Really? That's weird. Why do you have to pay a FB citation in Plano? That makes no sense.

Well, I did find this link for you, but apparently (from what you post) it's not going to be much help. I'll post it anyway.

Protect: Payment Information | Courts — City of Farmers Branch

ETA: Wait a minute. This was a red light ticket that was issued in Plano (although, if this is the light I am thinking of, I thought that was North Garland...but I digress) and you recieved the citation at your residence in FB? If so, it's a PLANO citation and you owe the fine to Plano. THAT makes more sense.:)

Last edited:

Tistics1981

Thanks mommyof4, I've actually already put in a phone call to the FBPD and am waiting on a call back from a detective to sort out it out.

in reply to racer:

I understood that private businesses can deal in whatever currency they want to... but I also thought that if debt is owed to the government then they must accept there own legal tender...

I could be wrong of course, but that just doesn't make sense to me... I mean, if the Government won't accept cash, what good is it, lol

CdwJava

My guess is that payment for red light camera cites is done through a different process - perhaps a private company. Or, the matter is in collections somehow.

- Carl

mommyof4

OK, this whole 'no cash' policy is only for this particular violation because it is enforced by "Plano Red Light Photo Enforcement Program.”

http://www.plano.gov/Departments/Police/RedLightCameras/Pages/default.aspx

·
How do I make payment for a Notice of Violation?

Payments can be made by personal check, money order, or VISA / MasterCard only (no cash). Please make check or money order payable to “Plano Red Light Photo Enforcement Program” and mail in the enclosed envelope, along with the payment coupon found on page 2 of the notice. A credit card payment can also be made online at: www.photonotice.com (enter city code: PLANO). A $25.00 administrative fee will be assessed for any rejected or declined payment. Walk-in payments are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the local customer service center, located at 1721 W. Plano Pkwy Suite #105, Plano, TX 75075 (cash will not be accepted at the customer service center). Please do not bring any payments to the City of Plano Municipal Center or Police Department.

mommyof4

Thanks mommyof4, I've actually already put in a phone call to the FBPD and am waiting on a call back from a detective to sort out it out.
It's not a FB citation. You HAVE to pay it to the city in which the citation originated. That is Plano.

Carl, you are correct. It's a private company, who installs, monitors, (and after turning evidence over to the city of Plano and having evidence approved) issues the violations, and enforces collections of fines.

Last edited:

Tistics1981

Ok, so its a 3rd party ticket? wow...

But it's not in Plano. The Customer Service Center is in Plano, but the ticket is from Farmers Branch PD (at least it has their letterhead), and the violation occured in Farmers Branch...

Antigone*

Just a little bit off topic

I have a customer who sells corn. He does a ton of business to street vendors in Los Angeles. I've been in his office and he has huge bags of quarters in his office. A sales rep came and was trying to sell him a fork lift. He was sold on the piece of equipment, but here was the catch. Then vendor had to take his quarters. They had to send a van to pick up the payment ~ it was $26,000 in quarters.

We did end up seling him armored services - not a good thing to have that much cash sitting in your office in downtown L.A.

mommyof4

Ok, so its a 3rd party ticket? wow...

But it's not in Plano. The Customer Service Center is in Plano, but the ticket is from Farmers Branch PD (at least it has their letterhead), and the violation occured in Farmers Branch...
Right, but the enforcement of the Red Light Camera Program is in Plano. You are not going to pay the FB Municipal court for the fine because FBMC doesn't handle that violation.

Further (and if you want to answer me in PM, that's fine) at which intersection were you cited?

Last edited:

Tistics1981

ahhhh, I see now.

Well at least that part makes sense to me. I'm still not getting why they don't accept cash though. Are they government or a private company?

Not all of us have enough spare cash to pay a fine and pay for the money order. I know their not much, but after paying the fine I could use the extra dollars... I mean sheesh at least I could get a loaf of bread. Money's tight these days, and these little extra charges add up fast.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">