• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Impounded For invalid License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IAG

What is the name of your state? California

I recieved my fourth ticket (speeding) before the one and a half month probational period elapsed on my previous three. Unfortunately this time my license was invalid because i forgot to renew it - no paper came in the mail or anything. Because of this the fuzz impunded my car and also set a court date (I don't know why). I have been getting differing advice on this matter. Some say that the car will be held for thirty days regardless of what I do. Some say I should renew my license as quickly as possible and then get my car out of impound. Some say that I cant renew my license or get my car until the hearing. Can somebody please straighten this out?
I will be ETERNALY grateful

lwpat

Actually when you get your fourth ticket they not only impound your car they also send it to the scrap yard to be crushed and sent to China. Sorry.

CdwJava

IAG said:
What is the name of your state? California

I recieved my fourth ticket (speeding) before the one and a half month probational period elapsed on my previous three. Unfortunately this time my license was invalid because i forgot to renew it - no paper came in the mail or anything. Because of this the fuzz impunded my car and also set a court date (I don't know why). I have been getting differing advice on this matter. Some say that the car will be held for thirty days regardless of what I do. Some say I should renew my license as quickly as possible and then get my car out of impound. Some say that I cant renew my license or get my car until the hearing. Can somebody please straighten this out?
I will be ETERNALY grateful
It depends under what authority your car was impounded. If it was simply for an expired license, then you can get it out almost any time. If it was for a suspended license, then they can hold it for 30 days and you will need to attend a hearing at the PD to show that you have a license and insurance and then they can release the car. And under certain repeat offender violations, you can kiss your car goodbye.

We impound cars of derelict, irresponsible drivers because they tend to do what you do - drive without a license all the time. Taking the car tends to slow them down.

If you provide the section you were cited for this time, the reason your license was suspended before, and the authority for the tow (it should be written on the tow document called a CHP 180), I can probably tell you what you REALLY need to do.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">