• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batachat

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

An ex-coworker, D, borrowed my car without permission. I was trying not to use my car as the tag had expired & so did the insurance. D was pulled over & received a ticket for speeding, not having proof of insurance, & having an expired tag. When he returned my car, D and I fought & we have been on bad terms since. Today, D called me asking that I help him dismiss his tickets since his license will be suspended unless he proves the car had insurance when he was pulled over. I don’t want to help D but I am worried that since I didn’t have insurance, I could somehow be charged. I just received a call from D's attorney who threatened that if I did not provide proof the car was insured, he would subpoena me. Could I be charged? If I’m subpoenaed, will I have to say I had no insurance? How long does it take to get a subpoena & how is it served? Also, I have moved since the incident, so what happens if D doesn't know where I am & the subpoena can't be served?

lwpat

If they can't find you, they can't find you. How did the attorney contact you if they can't find you? D is responsible, especially since he took the vehicle without permission. There is nothing the attorney can do if they can't serve you with process.

S

shell007

batachat said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

An ex-coworker, D, borrowed my car without permission. I was trying not to use my car as the tag had expired & so did the insurance. D was pulled over & received a ticket for speeding, not having proof of insurance, & having an expired tag. When he returned my car, D and I fought & we have been on bad terms since. Today, D called me asking that I help him dismiss his tickets since his license will be suspended unless he proves the car had insurance when he was pulled over. I don’t want to help D but I am worried that since I didn’t have insurance, I could somehow be charged. I just received a call from D's attorney who threatened that if I did not provide proof the car was insured, he would subpoena me. Could I be charged? If I’m subpoenaed, will I have to say I had no insurance? How long does it take to get a subpoena & how is it served? Also, I have moved since the incident, so what happens if D doesn't know where I am & the subpoena can't be served?

IF "D" took the vehicle without your permission...DID YOU REPORT IT STOLEN???

Happy Trails

shellandty said:
IF "D" took the vehicle without your permission...DID YOU REPORT IT STOLEN???
Of course he didn't report it, if he had he wouldn't be hiding from a potential subpeona.

He doesn't want to help "D", but he wouldn't want to get "D" in trouble either.

Last edited:
S

shell007

Happy Trails said:
Of course he didn't report it, if he had he wouldn't be hiding from a potential subpeona.

He doesn't want to help "D", but he wouldn't want to get "D" in trouble either.
Hummmmm!!!

justalayman

shellandty said:
Hummmmm!!!
Don't know the words to the song?:D :D

I had a Mazda once that made that sound while all the other cars went boing, boing, boing,

(you have to be fairly old for that last one to make sense)

ecmst12

You didn't drive the car because it had no insurance. There's nothing wrong with that. It's only against the law to DRIVE a car without insurance, not to OWN one. D is the one who drove it, it was his responsibility to make sure it was insured before driving it, which he obviously didn't. Tell him to take a hike. Tell his lawyer that your testimony would do more harm to his client's case than good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">