• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Seized After Traffic Stop- Speeding/Suspended License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

probono1

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of California. Problems with a hold on license. There is back story, so please bear with my longwindedness.

I was stopped in June of this year in Los Angeles for an "illegal lane change" because I put my blinker on a second before I switched lanes resulting in a Highway Patrol pulling me over and issuing me a - driving without a license -summon to court. He let me keep my car this time. I missed the court date resulting in a FTA and a yellow paper, stating the citation number, and a bail amount of $221.00. "Your failure to appear has resulted in a hold being placed on the vehicle registration with DMV. To Avoid additional penalties added to the bail amount shown above, You must mail the bail amount or schedule a court appearance within 10 days."

So, I mailed the bail amount immediately.

I just got stopped again, Dec 23rd. Speeding: 57 in a 45. This officer was in San Diego, he wrote me a citation for speeding and a suspended license. This time I wasn't so lucky. He impounded the car on a "30 day tow". He said if I was to pay the outstanding two fines on my license I would be good to have a reinstatement from DMV and I could pick the car up before the 30 days. This is what I need to do, all the storage fees are going to kill me.

So, I called DMV. DMV let me know I have two outstanding fines I could pay today, but I had a 21658A VC 4058A VC (guess this is a hold for FTA?) with no fine amount, this needed to be cleared up as well. I needed to call the LA court with docket number. I called the court and the only option I have is to select a court date, all of which are in March of 2015?!?!

SO, my full question is: How and what do I do to get my license reinstated ASAP so I can get a release for my car from the storage yard? Do i need a DMV abstract? I can't talk to anyone human on the court lines, its all automated with no option for bail forfeiture or anything. Mind you I sent that $221.00 in from the random yellow bail letter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
SO, my full question is: How and what do I do to get my license reinstated ASAP so I can get a release for my car from the storage yard? Do i need a DMV abstract?
You need to appear before the court and settle the outstanding matters. What does an abstract do for you????

In case you didn't realize, this is your fault for ignoring the first tickets until it was too late. You perhaps avoided additional monetary penalties but still got the FTA.

OHRoadwarrior

So you avoided additional penalties by mailing in your bail, then never appeared on driving under suspension. At least they didn't issue an arrest warrant or you would have been jailed when pulled over. Now you get to attend court on their schedule. You might try going to the court in person and telling the clerk your situation and asking nicely to get an earlier time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">