• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stopped short I hit them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Altasno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
Got cited for reckless driving 4points, do I plead not guilty?
How do I get the point reduced?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
According to your post, you are guilty... (just thought I should point that out)

poncho

I've herd of guilty with "explanation" in traffic "court". But this not guilty because I don't want points is a new angle.

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
Got cited for reckless driving 4points, do I plead not guilty?
How do I get the point reduced?
What do you think the points are going to mean to you? Your insurance is going up for the mere fact that you at-fault plowed into another car. They could dismiss the ticket and you're still getting jacked.

poncho

O.k not legal advice and I'm in a different state. Someone did use a WA supreme court cite to win a decision in their favor in a different type of case, in Colorado. That's an example of how uniform most statutes are amongst the states.

Problem with the net. I might google and see: "o.k it is like WA for your case". Post that info and you might use it. Sometimes states close loopholes and update their "methods". So you need to check with a live person or the back of your ticket, etcetera. Best is a free consult with a real world licensed lawyer. This is not the best thing to have on your driving record either. You might want to hire the lawyer to help.

Most states have come to the conclusion that sometimes Police miss apply the law when giving tickets. So in most places you can enter a guilty plea agreeing you did do something that warranted a ticket. But you do not think that the law your accused of breaking fits what you did. The court lets you explain the circumstance. Sometimes the court may agree and reduce your ticket.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So in most places you can enter a guilty plea agreeing you did do something that warranted a ticket. But you do not think that the law your accused of breaking fits what you did.
Is that a fact? :rolleyes:

poncho

Is that a fact? :rolleyes:
I said in some states have the guilty with explanation. People can see if that option is available in their state.

In Washington State to make it more clear when entering a plea with explanation has box (2) on the citation:
Respond by requesting a hearing to explain the circumstances. If you select box two (2), you are requesting a hearing to explain the circumstances. Check the box, verify your address, and sign the infraction on the back where indicated. You can either mail the infraction to the Court or bring it in person to the Court counter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">