• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

careless driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joyner

I live in mississippi and received a traffic violation for careless driving. The officer ignored me when I attempted to ask what I had done wrong. The officer also failed to sign the ticket. Can I beat this in court.

V

Vincent Cosent

Dear Careless!!

The judge will decide. Is his badge # on the ticket? If they dont know what officer issued the ticket you wont be able to cross examine him and the judge should void the ticket.

J

joyner

No his badge number is not on the ticket but I am sure they will know which officer wrote the ticket. The town has a population of about 50 and maybe three police officers. Tickets are probably their only source of income for the town. I tried to ask the officer how I was driving careless but he ignored me and got in his car and left. I am goint to court but I don't have much hope to win because like I said the town is small. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Mississippi statute for careless driving. :(

J

joyner

I think I finally found what I needed. Mississippi Code 63-9-21 section 3 paragraph (c) Every traffic ticket shall show the name of the issuing officer, the name ot the court in which the case is to be heard, and the date and time such person is to appear to answer the charge. The ticket shall include information which will constitute a complaint charging the offense for which the ticket was issued, and when duly sworn to and filed with a court of competent jurisdiction, prosecution may proceed thereunder.

not only did the officer not sign the ticket he didn't put the court date or time.

V

Vincent Cosent

Great News!!!!!

I'm really happy to hear this.This makes my day!!!!!!
Good luck to you joyner. I wish I was there to see the looks on their faces.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">