• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving Advice Please Cop involved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MRiley

What is the name of your state? Nj

Today I recieved a ticket for careless driving. Coming home I approached a stop sign making a complete stop, actually waiting for a car to go before i moved. Looked again to make sure everything was still clear, as i was just about in the middle of the intersection, a police officer came up the hill flying! Mind you he had no lights or sirens on. He didn't hit me, however he was going so fast that he flew off in a ditch by the side of the road. Of course i stopped and went back to make sure he was okay. He came up to my car and made sure everybody was ok, and asked me if i just didn't see him coming up over the hill. Which i replied no, because he was going so fast he came out of no where. When the other cops came, the cop involved in the "accident" told them, I ran the stop sign, which i made clear that I did no such thing. The officer took my word over his and instead of giving me a failure to stop ticket, gave me a careless driving ticket instead. In my opinion, I was not careless driving, what so ever. I made a complete stop and double checked each way, and if the officer was not going so fast he would have never flew in to the ditch. I did have a friend in the car with me that saw the whole thing. now I need advice on what I can do so this ticket will not go against me in any way.

M

Mike101

The only choice I see you having is going to court and fighting it. If you friend is willing to testify bring him. Your just going to have to tell the judge exactly what happened along with your friend and then the judge will determine who he believes is telling the truth.
If the cop is the one who is at fault he might not show up for court. Then you might be able to get the case dismissed.
Or you could try and get the C&R reduced to improper equipment and blame your brakes.
That would be admitting to something you didn't do though. Have to figure out what you want to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">