• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

careless driving, careless officer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AuburnDesmond

What is the name of your state? New Jersey :rolleyes:

i was pulled over on saturday, originally for "improper passing," (i passed another car where two lanes merge into one) but the officer said he'd let me off easy and issued me a ticket for 39:4-97 "careless driving." this is worth 2 points.

a few things: when he asked for the trinity of license, registration, and insurance; he only took my license and registration. he barely glanced at my insurance. my insurance lists my current address, while my registration lists my leasing company address. my license (about to be renewed) has a former address of one year ago, (but has the ammended new address sticker on the back). i have properly notified the DMV about my move, and have received materials from them and other government/voting agencies since.

on my ticket however, it lists my old address. i have not lived there for a year; and this seems painfully careless on his part.

-why didn't he take my insurance card?

-didn't he look up my driving record/criminal history (which i would assume would have the updated address)?

-in consideration of these factors, how much can i fight? (points off? fine?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">