• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless driving charge - plead guilty or not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hannahftw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

So here's the situation:

I was driving in the far left through-lane. There was a car ahead of me, probably 25 yards or so, who went to change lanes into the left turn lane. He must not have been paying attention, because he almost hit somebody who was already in the left turn lane, and he swerved back into my lane and came to a complete stop. I tried to brake but he was too near, as I was in the process of passing him, and I rear-ended him. The police came and told me that because I rear-ended him, it was automatically my fault. The officer charged me with careless driving. I have a summons to appear in court and I am unsure if I should plead guilty or not guilty. What is the process either way?

Thanks in advance,
Hannah

The Occultist

If you were not able to stop in time, then you were traveling too fast for conditions. Whether or not this fact means anything to you will absolutely depend on the statute you are being charged as having violated, so let's have it.

FlyingRon

Well plead not guilty if you want a chance of being found not guilty. Was the other driver cited for anything? If he moved completely out of your lane and then back in, you *MIGHT* be able to argue against fault here. However, if he just swerved in lane and slammed on the brakes, you were probably following too close for the speed or conditions or otherwise not paying due care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">