• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving.. At fault. Any options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigIdiot92

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Was driving home from work.

I merging onto an intersection and the light was green so obviously you can merge easily. The guy in front of me hesitated to merge, I didn't realize in time and I'm not used to driving the van, which doesn't have as good brakes, and I went right into him.

Previous driving record:

Had license/geico since I turned 17.

2 not-at-fault accidents.

1 speeding ticket.. 38 on a 25.

First at fault accident, I'm 18 almost 19.

Also got a careless driving ticket.

1. Is there any possible way I can get out of the ticket?
2. How bad is my insurance going to go up?
3. Should I add it was a green light and he should've gone?
4. Any options I have to make my situation better, or am I out of luck?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

The Occultist

1. Is there any possible way I can get out of the ticket?
Yes, the potential exists, but it will absolutely require the aid of a traffic attorney. I do not suggest attempting to do this yourself.

2. How bad is my insurance going to go up?
That's not a legal question. Only your insurance agent can tell you that. Oh, but my insurance agent once told me that I should never ask her questions like that; the less I tell her, the longer before my insurance will go up.

3. Should I add it was a green light and he should've gone?
"Your honor, the light was green so I hit him." No, I don't think that'll help you out very much.

4. Any options I have to make my situation better, or am I out of luck?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.
It's possible that you can take traffic school to either have the charge dismissed or have the points decreased (which could also help with your insurance premium). The best thing you can do is what I suggested earlier about having that traffic attorney. Yes, he'll be expensive, but not as expensive as the money you'll pay overall for your insurance increase, so consider it an investment. A local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">