• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving (???!!!) & Maintenance of Lamps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fubara

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was on my way to work and was behind a very slow group of cars. The traffic opened up into 3 lanes (on the right) and there was noone in the lane, so I went into that lane to go around the slow cars. I also speeded up to go around them, as I realized the lanes went back to 2 lanes in a short stretch. I did get around them, but was stopped by an officer for my efforts.

He never told me what I did wrong, only asked for my documentation. I gave him my information, plus an FOP (police card) card I have. He then walked away before I could ask what I did wrong.

After 15 minutes of checking my completely clean record, he came back with 2 tickets, one for careless driving, and another one for maintenance of lamps - then said my brake light is out and asked who the FOP card was issued by. I said my fiance's father. He then said I should have my father in-law (to be) call him, but gave no reason why and he walked away.

I was aggravated by his rudeness and lack of telling me what I did wrong. I suspect he wanted to give me a speeding ticket but didn't due to the card. I also feel it's excessive to have given me these 2 tickets - in excess of $130, when most officers will just tell you that your brake light is out. I will also get a hefty penalty from my insurance company for the 2 points, and who knows what from NJ State.

So, I'm going to fight this but the definition of careless driving is so vague, as to be ridiculous. I did not fall asleep at the wheel, and I didn't cause any property damage or scare other drivers or pedestrians. How can I win on these?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">