• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving Minnesota

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yobys

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am curious if any one can help me out.
In May I was driving to my grandparents place to return their car. I had my friend follow me in my car. We were headed from Fargo to Osakis and we were getting off the interestate when my friend had to squeeze between me and another guy (thought I had another mile before the exit ramp). The guy that was squeezed out called the cops and reported that we were "playing cat and mouse". I knew the area and knew it was frequently patrolled. I placed my cruise control at 53 in a 55.(hard to keep it at 55 when you are doing 70 for 2 hrs). Once we reach Osakis, a police officer pulled both of us over. (cop didn't see anything and could say we did anything wrong). We were informed that we were doing high rates of speed and blowing through stop signs and cutting people off. He told us that we were going to get tickets because the person that reported us was willing to write a report. We both got careless driving tickets.
I am wondering what kind of ground I am standing on. My friend is being tried by the city and I am getting tried by the city.( I think) We have already had our preliminary hearings and the public attonery wouldn't even think about pleaing down. any advice to know where I am sitting would be helpful. Thank you

yobys

Update

My friend was offered a plea of inattentive driving. A petty misdemeanor, but his inssurance says it will not affect him.

yobys

result

I got %uc&ed.
My friend settled with inattentive driving.
I went to court to fight it and some how got hosed.
The guy that "witnessed" me being careless changed his story from the original statement. He then proceeded to say he was still on the interstate when he "witnessed" me run the stop sign at the top of the off ramp. Some how the judge view this guys statement as more credible than mine and continued to state that me running stop signs that he drives by is not acceptible and bull $hi!. No matter how open and closed a situation is expect the worse. The worse thing is**************. I didnt run the stop sign.

Does anyone know if a person can appeal this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">