• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

careless driving on private property???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dan26

in michigan, and any other state for that matter, is it legal for an officer to give me a ticket/fine for careless driving in a privately owned parking lot for a bowling alley?? the guy waited for me to get out on the public road, where i drove just fine, and then pulled me over and gave me a careless driving ticket/fine for how i backed up in the parking lot... doesn't seem legit that occurring on private property and no charges brought up by the owner of the property.

racer72

Although considered private property, it is open to the general public, thus giving your local police department jurisdiction over traffic infractions committed on the property. Traffic laws do not end at the entrance to a parking lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">