• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCMommy78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

About a month ago I got into a car accident. Someone stopped short...guy in front of me stopped barely in time, I hit him, and the guy behind me hit me. Guy behind me fled accident scene cops are looking for him. Obviously I take full responsibility for following to close and hitting the guy in front of me. The cop gave me a ticket for careless driving and gave me a court date. The gentleman i hit was so great...insurance handled his claim and all of that is done. Now on to my question...The police officer told me that when I go to court, if the other party (guy I hit) doesnt show, that the ticket will get dropped. The guy I hit said he has no intention of going to court. Is this true? Will the ticket get dropped?

SCMommy78

I appreciate the response. Not sure if you're calling me an idiot or not but this is my first accident in 15 years of driving. No one was hurt and my car was the only one wrecked. So believe me....I already know I am idiot for following too close. :(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I appreciate the response. Not sure if you're calling me an idiot or not but this is my first accident in 15 years of driving. No one was hurt and my car was the only one wrecked. So believe me....I already know I am idiot for following too close. :(
I wasn't calling you an idiot. I was merely stating that the fact that you ran in to the car ahead of you provides evidence that you were following too closely. The other party doesn't need to testify to it.

ETA: Perhaps you are referring to my signature line?

SCMommy78

lol...Guess I was being way too sensitive!
Needless to say I now keep a much larger distance between myself and the car in front of mine! :)

asiny

lol...Guess I was being way too sensitive!
Needless to say I now keep a much larger distance between myself and the car in front of mine! :)
The old 'one hippopotamus, two hippopotamus, three hippopotamus' always works from me :D

ecmst12

Even if you end up having to pay the ticket on top of what your insurance paid to fix the other car, that lesson of leaving more space in front of you will serve you well for the rest of your driving life. That is the number one simple thing that anyone can do that will avoid about 75% of accidents that YOU would be at fault for (and some that you wouldn't, but still, who wants to be in an accident??) - leave more space, and look further ahead.

SCMommy78

So I went to traffic court this morning. Everything got dismissed. HOWEVER, I definitely learned from this. I think my concern through this whole thing was that I didnt injure the nice gentleman in front of me. I will now leave plenty of space between my car and the car in front of me!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So I went to traffic court this morning. Everything got dismissed. HOWEVER, I definitely learned from this. I think my concern through this whole thing was that I didnt injure the nice gentleman in front of me. I will now leave plenty of space between my car and the car in front of me!
Congratulations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">