• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving Ticket with Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Debbie48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My mother was involved in a car accident in May. She received 2 tickets - one for careless driving and the other for not having her current insurance card with her. She was hurt in the accident and her car was totalled. The other driver was out, walking around and talking to the police when my mother was taken to the er. She also had some damage to her car. Do you know what will happen in court? I tried to see if my mom could just pay the tickets and get the 2 points and not go to court but the policeman is requiring her to appear. What other fines could there be? How can I find out if the other driving is doing anything or will be in court with us? My mother did have insurance at the time of the accident and has her card to prove it. She is nervous about going to court.

The Occultist

If the car was insured at the time of the incident, proof of such should eliminate/mitigate the fine she will face for that.

As far as careless driving goes, she will likely need the aid of an attorney to mitigate the damages she will face. Whether or not the "victim" will appear is of no concern to you. Sit down with an attorney and see what they have to say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">