• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving ticket, NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexk1350

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello,
I got careless driving ticket for not stopping to police officer signals. I went to the police department and requested discovery, they gave me video file of the stop. You can find it here Stop - YouTube, I made some sound edits to exclude part when police mentioning my name and plates. Please let me know what do you think? From my point of view he requested a temporary stop to walk women to another side of the street. I started to drive after he walked away. Truck behind me started to move also and stopped only after second officer block the road. My court date is October 9. Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Looks like it's an $81 fine by the way.

If an officer tells you to stop, or indicates somehow that you should stop, then it would be best to stop and not continue again unless there is a clear indication to proceed.

The truck behind you is irrelevant - and it's not clear from the video that he proceeded after you did, not that it matters.

A good alternative plea is pleading guilty to obstructing traffic N.J.S.A 39:4-67.
The fine is $47. Not sure about points.

OHRoadwarrior

I had a similar argument with a trooper in UT. I was let go at the time because his gesture indicated move to the right, not stop. In your case, the gesture indicated stop. You decided, without officer intervention when that directive ended. A judge MIGHT dismiss it, if you have a good driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">