• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

carelss driving in Miami FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkattan

Should I take my Careless Driving to court?

Miami, FL.
I was driving on the middle lane of the interstate, under the speed limit. Someone came in front of me from the right lane so I reduced my speed. He braked suddenly and I also did, but he braked too hard and we had a small collision. Nothing happened to my car and his car got a small scratch on the rear bumper. I got a ticket for Careless Driving.
Should I contest this in court? If so, how?

Last edited:

mkattan

some things I forgot to mention

I didn't get the other driver's phone number.
The other driver had a cast on his leg, he said his leg was broken. Can I use that for my defense? Can someone drive a car with a broken leg?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Sounds like you were careless. When someone is in front of you you are supposed to increase the following distance to allow for sudden stops like this. The only possible defense is that his entry into your lane was so close to you that you didn't have time to increase the distance to being safe. It however sounds like this wasn't the case.

You don't need a phone number.
I don't think the cast has any bearing on your case.

mkattan

Thank you FlyingRon.
What do you think are my chances of getting this ticket dismissed by going to court?
Will the other party be cited too as well as the Officer or only the Officer?

Last edited:

mkattan

Yes. If I decide to request a trial for this ticket, will the Officer be notified to show in court (subpoenaed)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">