+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sandyclaus

Thread: carpool lane entering and exiting

pirategirl68 is offline Junior Member

carpool lane entering and exiting

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
    while driving in the carpool lane the other day, my friend and i debated the following issue in regards to the lines. there is one solid white line next to two solid yellow lines. my friend says that means you can exit the carpool lane anywhere and anytime you choose, but i say the solid white line means its a preferential lane and that you can only enter and exit when you come up on a broken white line. please end this debate once and for all. thanks
    sandyclaus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pirategirl68 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
    while driving in the carpool lane the other day, my friend and i debated the following issue in regards to the lines. there is one solid white line next to two solid yellow lines. my friend says that means you can exit the carpool lane anywhere and anytime you choose, but i say the solid white line means its a preferential lane and that you can only enter and exit when you come up on a broken white line. please end this debate once and for all. thanks
    The solid white line is there because per 21460 of the California Vehicle Code no driver may drive to the left of a solid double yellow line, whereas the solid white line designates the lane(s) to the left of the solid double yellow line as its own section of highway.

You can only enter or exit the carpool lane(s) when broken lines are present. If you're entering or exiting when the lines are not broken, you still have to cross double yellows, which is illegal.
    Zigner likes this.