• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

case dismissed! How about my efforts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tob

I am a Kansas resident. This incident occured in Missouri. I have a good driving history. I was wrongfully ticketed for improper passing. I was about 150 miles from home. I opted to fight the charges. On my court date I took off of work and traveled to my arraignment. I pled not guilty. The court date was set for the following month. Once again I took off of work to go to court and absorbed the cost of lost wages and travel. I had worked very hard to prepare a case and felt extremely confident. When it was my turn to be heard, the lawyer and police officer excused themselves to the back room. The lawyer reappeared and announced that my case was dismissed! I was actually disappointed because of all the effort I had put into my defense. My question is, "Since this was apparently a trumped up charge, am I entitled to reimbursement for lost wages and travel expenses?"What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am a Kansas resident. This incident occured in Missouri. I have a good driving history. I was wrongfully ticketed for improper passing. I was about 150 miles from home. I opted to fight the charges. On my court date I took off of work and traveled to my arraignment. I pled not guilty. The court date was set for the following month. Once again I took off of work to go to court and absorbed the cost of lost wages and travel. I had worked very hard to prepare a case and felt extremely confident. When it was my turn to be heard, the lawyer and police officer excused themselves to the back room. The lawyer reappeared and announced that my case was dismissed! I was actually disappointed because of all the effort I had put into my defense. My question is, "Since this was apparently a trumped up charge, am I entitled to reimbursement for lost wages and travel expenses?"What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I missed the part where you offered up ANY evidence or other indication that this was a "trumped up" charge...

ETA: Not that it matters because we ain't seen no soaring swines yet!

Last edited:
I missed the part where you offered up ANY evidence or other indication that this was a "trumped up" charge...
The fact that the case was dismissed before the trial even started seems like good evidence. The case had no merit. I can understand the defendant's annoyance at coming to court to find that the the other party doesn't even think there is a case. They should have figured that out before summoning him to the court. Unfortunately he has no remedy.

I_Got_Banned

The fact that the case was dismissed before the trial even started seems like good evidence. The case had no merit.
That's the way things are supposed to happen. The officer issues the citation, files it in court, the DA reviewes it and can then decide whether he/she wants to prosecute or not. That decision can come when the citation is filed, when trial starts or any time in between.

You have no idea why the citation was dismissed. Maybe the citation was issued in error, maybe the officer did not bring the proper documentation, maybe the driver's record was reviewed and it was decided that he deserved a break, maybe the DA had more serious cases to present for the day... So you can sit here all day arguing that it had no merit, but unless you were part of that conversation that happened between the officer and the DA, your conclusion means nothing.

Dear Stalker

If it's more convenient, I'm happy to stipulate that none of my opinions are your opinions and vice-versa. That will save you the trouble of "correcting" my wrong opinions every single time I make a post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">