• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

caught in intersection ticketed 4 running red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmas41

What is the name of your state? CA
I was moving into an intersection on a one way street farthest left lane when the car in front of me decided to turn right/no signalling and we then had to wait for peds to cross. I was in the intersection as the light started to change from green to yellow so I proceeded across and was pulled over for running a red light. I was under the impression that if your bumper is 11 inches minimum into the intersection that I had to proceed forward otherwise I would have been blocking part of the crosswalk and the intersection.
Does anyone know of this bumper law??
I know it exsists but can't find also the officer made the ticket out to my old address. The officer asked me which one was right as my reg and insurance (which he never looked at) list my current address as well as the back of my CA license. I had moved two years earlier DMV only requires you to write on the back of your license til it comes up for renewal or you can pay to have it changed earlier. Which I did and DMV lost my application but cashed my check. He did not seem to care that I would never recieve any notices sent to me.
Can anyone help??

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

I was under the impression that if your bumper is 11 inches minimum into the intersection that I had to proceed forward otherwise I would have been blocking part of the crosswalk and the intersection.
Does anyone know of this bumper law??
Only if you're driving a Frontend loader with a 54 Caddy bumper. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Regardless of the address, show up in court. Don't blow it off or think you don't have to go because you do not get a courtesy notice.

As for the violation, what were you cited for? CVC 21453(a)? or some other section?

And, no, there is no bumper measurement rule in the CVC. And trying to picture this ... I'm confused. You entered the intersection on a green to make a left turn but were impeded by pedestrians crossing the road (presumably in a crosswalk), so when the light changed to yellow you proceeded straight ... is that right?

- Carl

jmas41

caught in intersection

CA
Yes that is the citation number but I was behind a car that decided to turn left and it was not using turn signals. By the time the peds crossed it was turning yellow. I was turning left just past the main intersection but was clearly in the intersection by five feet or more and I was driving a cargo van. The lane I was in is a left turn lane only. Also there is no clear marking on the ground for the crosswalk but it must be implied right. I do know there is some thing about this as a friend of mine used it 5-6 years ago inthe city when she got stuck like me and a friend of mine's boyfriend said he knew about it as well and he's an attorney. I just don't know where to find it. Does this clear things up abit? I still need help.

CdwJava

jmas41 said:
CA
Yes that is the citation number but I was behind a car that decided to turn left and it was not using turn signals. By the time the peds crossed it was turning yellow. I was turning left just past the main intersection but was clearly in the intersection by five feet or more and I was driving a cargo van. The lane I was in is a left turn lane only. Also there is no clear marking on the ground for the crosswalk but it must be implied right. I do know there is some thing about this as a friend of mine used it 5-6 years ago inthe city when she got stuck like me and a friend of mine's boyfriend said he knew about it as well and he's an attorney. I just don't know where to find it. Does this clear things up abit? I still need help.
Well, while the cite may be cheesy (but I don't know the officer's version of events), the DMV handbook and the CVC require that a person yield behind the limit line on a left turn unless the turn can be completed. Thus, you cannot roll into the intersection awaiting the light to change.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs16thru17.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22526.htm

Yes, the myth of being past the limit line has existed for many years ... it was well-established when I got my license in 1978. In fact, this tends to be common practice by law enforcement unless there are extenuating circumstances. But, the code does not support the allegation that a vehicle can be in the intersection as long as he passed the limit line before the light turns.

However, unless the citing officer thought he saw something different, you may be able to beat the cite because you may well have been cited for the wrong section. I would have used:

22526. (a) Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.

Or,

22526. (b) A driver of a vehicle which is making a turn at an intersection who is facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal shall not enter the intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.

... Depending on the details.

- Carl

jmas41

intersection

CA
Thank you for the insight.The intersection if you are familiar with the city was 3rd (a 5 lane crossing) I was crossing Market to turn onto Geary at 10am in San Francisco. You'd think that more than two or three cars could make it thru a signal. Besides the car in front of me gave no indication of turning so how was I to know?? What should I have done waited til they either turned or not? It's a rather large 4 lane intersection and I was in about 1/3 of it. During traffic hours you don't have the convience of distance between cars. Essentially that's why they call it bumper-to-bumper traffic right. Again thank you and I will see if I can include your info.

CdwJava

jmas41 said:
CA
Thank you for the insight.The intersection if you are familiar with the city was 3rd (a 5 lane crossing) I was crossing Market to turn onto Geary at 10am in San Francisco. You'd think that more than two or three cars could make it thru a signal. Besides the car in front of me gave no indication of turning so how was I to know?? What should I have done waited til they either turned or not? It's a rather large 4 lane intersection and I was in about 1/3 of it. During traffic hours you don't have the convience of distance between cars. Essentially that's why they call it bumper-to-bumper traffic right. Again thank you and I will see if I can include your info.
I've been through it, b ut I have no recent memory of the intersection.

The level of traffic won't be a defense in obstructing the intersection as the law states you cannot enter until you can make the turn. So the bumper to bumper traffic would not be an issue. However, the citation for the red light violation (failure to stop on a red light prior to the limit line) does not appear to be the appropriate violation here. I think you can win this unless the cite is amended.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">