• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught speeding while passing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Domestic

What is the name of your state? - Maryland

Hello! I have my court date tommarow for driving a vehicle on a highway at speed exceeding the limit. I was registered doing 79 in a 55 zone. I was on Route 50 west, just before the Bay Bridge. I am planning on pleading gulity with and explanation (dont know if thats a good idea or not. you guys tell me). That night, the bridge had all lanes closed expect one, so I saw lots of cones and barriers and signs saying merge left. I was all the way in the right lane and i noticed that i needed to merge to the left. But there was a big 16 wheeler next to me and it was difficult to get around him. There was a bunch of cars behind him but none ahead of him. There was also a car ahead of me and he speed to get ahead of him and merged. So i decided to do the same, but I got caught. I tried to explain to the officer what i just told you, but he was very strict and unwilling to listen to my "excuses".

Now, is there a chance of me winning this or getting no/less points?

I am 17 and only have been driving for a year so my rates are gunna ^^^^^^^^^^^ if i get these points. Another thing is that i am used to driving my 1996 hunk-a-junk truck that cant even go over 60mph. I got the ticket in my dads new truck (only had for a month). There was a big difference in the two vehicles. In the new truck, i though i was going 50 but i would be really going 70.

Would this help or hurt me if i told the judge this?

Any advice? Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">