• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught without Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soofrustrated

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I bought a car (a '66 Ford Falcon) to repair, it barely ran and was not being driven. I had to register it due to the fact that it was to be kept parked on the street. But when I registered I checked the box that said "this vehicle is insured", and I lied because I could not afford to pay the $500 "uninsured motorist" fee, and I really had planned to get insurance until I saw how expensive it was. The car only cost $200!
Well, I finally got busted for it because my boyfriend got it to run (somehow) one day and decided to drive it a few miles down the road to be kept in his dads backyard (where we could then turn the tags in, since it was NOT to be parked on the street). He rearended someone, which led to the dmv figuring out that I had no insurance on that car.
I got a suspension notice, and requested a hearing (its done by phone) to appeal it. If I lose, I get my liscense suspended until i pay a $500 fee, and SR22 insurance for 3 years.
Any ideas on how I can convince the judge to rule in my favor? At least to reduce the charge, I'd gladly pay some fines rather than have my liscense suspended and get SR22!!!

JETX

"Any ideas on how I can convince the judge to rule in my favor? At least to reduce the charge, I'd gladly pay some fines rather than have my liscense suspended and get SR22!!!"

Nope. Sounds like you are guilty to me.

S

soofrustrated

thanks

Oh great, thanks for the ADVICE. This IS an advice forum isn't it?? If you dont have any then dont bother to post it.

JETX

You didn't ask for ADVICE..... you asked if there were any IDEAS of how to weasel out on having been caught in violation of the law!!!

Lets take all the extraneous BS from your post... it simply becomes..... "I bought a car and lied about having insurance. I then drove the car and had an 'at-fault' accident. I was found guilty, fined and my license suspended. I appealed the decision without ANY basis in law. What do I have to do to try to weasel out of this?"

You broke the law, now grow up and accept the repercussions of your conscious DECISION to break the law!!

My idea stands!!

S

soofrustrated

whatever

First of all, yeah, oh, I didnt say advice, I said idea, and no, you didnt have an IDEA for me now did you? you said "nope", that means you dont have one, so forget it.

And no, I didnt drive the car and have an at-fault accident, someone else drove it without my permission, and it wasnt his fault, the guy in front of him slammed on his brakes for no reason, so why dont you get your stuff straight before you accuse me of things you know nothing about.

And thanks for telling me to grow up. People want LEGAL ADVICE so that a lawyer or someone, can tell them how to get out of things, thats what lawyers are for right, getting people OFF for things that they DID. And instead of advice I got a jerk who feels it necessary to put people down instead of trying to help.

Thanks alot.

JETX

Get YOUR "stuff straight"!

Where in your original post did you say that this deadbeat boyfriend STOLE your car without your permission and had the accident.

Where in your original post did you say that he wasn't at fault (in your opinion).

GROW up and quit being a 'whine baby'. You did wrong, got caught, pay for YOUR mistake. You seem to have forgotten that this ENTIRE situation arises solely from YOUR LYING on the DMV records.

So, my idea on how to resolve this problem YOU have gotten YOURSELF into...
Pay the fine and learn from it. The real sin is NOT in making a mistake, but in not learning from it.

Have a hap-hap-happy day.....
:p

S

soofrustrated

glad you're not my lawyer

I'm SO glad youre not my lawyer! I guess if you were you wouldnt help me would you? You'd tell the judge that its all my fault because I lied. Great. Murderers "get away with murder" with good lawyers. So why shouldnt I be able to get away with this? I'm sure plenty of people do. But no, I cant afford a lawyer. So I get on the Free Advice forum to seek some free advice and get slammed.

Thanks! You're really such a sweetie, I dont know what I would have done without your "advice" and "ideas"!

If I ever have a legal problem again I will be sure to stay far, far away from you...

JETX

I guess I didn't understand... you are looking for one of the 'miracle' attorneys who is willing to violate his ethic oath and advise you on how to lie to get out of your admitted guilt. Probably looking for something like the "O.J." defense.

Cochran and Bailey are the only two that come to mind..... and they aren't free!!

Last edited:
K

Kaz the Minotau

You lied!:mad: GUILTY! :mad: Take your lumps. If I were the officer that handled the incident I would have arrested you for permitting a violation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kaz the Minotau said:
You lied!:mad: GUILTY! :mad: Take your lumps. If I were the officer that handled the incident I would have arrested you for permitting a violation.

My response:

While I do agree with both Halket and Kaz, writing this also gives me an opportunity to sign off as . . .

IAAL

Gladiators
8:32

Bravo8

Kaz, my man, good to see ya.......welcome to the party!

I am particularly fond of Sofrustrated's referral to "getting off" and "getting away with" breaking the law.

Sorry sweety, we're not all irresponsible trash here....maybe you would be more comfortable with your own kind????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">