• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cdl speeding ticket in school zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troychris

I received a ticket for speeding through a school zone. this happened in texas. To my knowledge, the lights were not flashing, so i had no reason to slow down to the 20 mph. i was pulled over ( by the way i was driving an 18 wheeler for ups) and given a ticket for doing 41 in a 20 school zone. i told the officer that the light wasn't flashing and he said it was. as soon as signed the ticket , i had to circle through the opposite end of the school zone where i saw the other school zone light. It was not flashing. It was 3:59 at that point. My ticket reads 3:50 . I took of work the next day and called the city, the school and the state , the answer i got was that the lights stay on until 4:00 and the school itself said 4:30. Do i suck and pay the ticket and be carefull?. One atty said that he doesnt do cdl cases anymore because the laws were to tuff. I admit to doing 41 in 30 but that light wasnt flashing and to take a conviction of 21 in a 20 school zone with a cdl is not not good on my record. can anything reduce this except my word against the cop?:mad::confused:

Jim_bo

Why cant you simply go video tape the light NOT being on at 3
:50?? You could record a telephone call to a local time/weather number that would be able to verify the time for your tape. Seems to me like that's all u need.

I_Got_Banned

Why cant you simply go video tape the light NOT being on at 3
:50?? You could record a telephone call to a local time/weather number that would be able to verify the time for your tape. Seems to me like that's all u need.
And how does that prove that the lights were or were not flashing on the date/time that he received the citation?

Jim_bo

And how does that prove that the lights were or were not flashing on the date/time that he received the citation?
You must have missed that day in Civics class. Our OP is the defendant. He has an assumption of innocence. He doesn't have to PROVE anything. He only needs to raise reasonable doubt. If the thing ain't flashing today... it's reasonable to assume it wasn't flashing yesterday at the same time. It is up to the cop to PROVE that it was.

How many threads are you going to arrogantly challenge me only to be shut down? Your message (as weak as it may be) is usually lost in your condescending delivery. You'd be much more helpful to the OPs and gain much more respect if you would keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Hey There

For general information on contesting a speeding ticket --
a cited driver's rights, how to prepare a defence etc. information is provided on websites by going to Google and typing in
Speeding--Fighting or Plea bargaining.
Speeding Ticket FAQ.
and checking websites that follow.
Your local library may have a book published by NOLO
on contesting a traffic ticket.

Best Regards,
Hey There

I_Got_Banned

You must have missed that day in Civics class.
Actually, I didn't take Civics...

He has an assumption of innocence. He doesn't have to PROVE anything.
Right... Innocent until proven guilty... Or until the officer says -under oath- that the lights were flashing...

it's reasonable to assume it wasn't flashing yesterday at the same time. It is up to the cop to PROVE that it was.
Again... An easy task for a sworn officer who is testifying under oath!

How many threads are you going to arrogantly challenge me
I'm not "challenging" you... I simply asked a logical question.

Also, I suggest you practice what you preach, Mr. Kettle... Here's a perfect and recent example:
IGB,

Interesting picture... but what does it have to do with the OP's defense?
Different thread, different OP, worse condescending, unhelpful, disrespectful tone than what I can even come close to putting forth towards you... :rolleyes:

only to be shut down?
Hahahaha, you wish you could shut me down... :D

Your message (as weak as it may be) is usually lost in your condescending delivery.
I suggest that it is your own insecurity that makes my "messages" as condescending as you find them... ;)

As for their being "weak"... I can see how much you're not bothered by them... :rolleyes:

You'd be much more helpful to the OPs and gain much more respect if you would keep that in mind.
Check yourself before you start pointing fingers, Jim. No one on here is as disrespectful and lacking in self respect, might I add, as you are. I would do a search for your "sick of trolls" thread... Oh, wait, that was the other obnoxious Jim!

Quit the hollier than thou attitude... It doesn't work that well for you. You keep THAT in mind!!!

Last edited:

Jim_bo

Right... Innocent until proven guilty... Or until the officer says -under oath- that the lights were flashing...
This pretty much sums up your biased attitude and your belief that our system is corrupt. According to you, our OP can show documented and reasonable evidence that the lights were not flashing at a particular time of day... along with HIS sword statements under oath. But, if the cop says differently then a conviction is secured. The only way you would be correct is in a corrupt, lawless system that inserts stupidity for justice. I simply refuse to believe that is the system we have. I still want to believe in the rule of law and the protections provided to our citizens by the constitution. You seem quite comfortable in a world where you are guilty of a crime simply because a cop says you are... whether is right, wrong, biased, mistaken or ignorant. To you, a cop's opinion should never be challenged. To me, we as a society begin to loose our freedoms when we stop challenging our government officials.

Your opinion is fine as your opinion. Mine is just different. Maybe its one of those "is the glass half empty or half full" things. But, you serve no one by simply throwing stones at possible defenses which are only supported by "you can't disagree with a cop".

LSCAP

To the OP, if you're still here.
The attorney you spoke to is obviously a lousy lawyer.

It isn’t that the laws are too tough, it’s that the penalties are too tough, especially on truck drivers.

Get another attorney, one that can really help, preferably a local guy/gal. I mean, you are talking about your lively hood.

Anybody know if I spelled - lively hood - right?:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">