• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CDL Stop sign violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikiLynn

I was on a rural road driving WB. I was approaching a 2 lane high way. About 1/4 mile before the stop sign I began to look left and right for traffic. I approached the stop sign and seen the SB car pass and a NB car approaching. I had plenty of time to safely make it across the intersection, so I went without completely stopping. As soon as the cop pulled me over, I knew what I had done. D'Oh. I dumb admitted guilt and handed him my Driver license. He pointed to some letters on it and asked what they meant. It was a school bus driver endorsement. I have a CDL class B, but I was in my personal vehicle. I have a perfect driving record. I thought for sure I'd get a lecture and a warning, which I deserved. He came back and said he had to give me a citation because there was traffic. Now I can't be 100% sure but the SB car had already passed and he was the only other car who was plenty far enough back for me to safely pass. He then told me that he was told from another CDL CLASS A driver that when you have a CDL you can't get court supervision.

So here's my question. Yes, I rolled through the stop sign, but is it worth my time to attempt to fight it in court? I don't mind paying, I just don't want it on my record. I feel like when he heard I was a bus driver and had a cdl he picked on me. Why go out of your way to tell me I can't get supervision?

Do I have a chance here or should I just pay the ticket and move on. I don't have to appear in court per the ticket. I'd have to.call to get a date I guess?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Yep, one of the things about having CDL is that the rules are different for even your personal car. Given as this could impact your livlihood, it might be worth talking to a LOCAL attorney to where you are cited to appear to see what he thinks your chances are.

NikiLynn

He PICKED on you by giving you a ticket and some second-hand information? :rolleyes:
Picked on is not the right choice of words. More like going out of his way to be an *******. I did it, I'm guilty. I'm asking if this is something I can plea down. Since I don't go to court EVER I don't know how it all works, which is why I'm here in a legal advice forum. If you don't have helpful advice, why not just move on?

NikiLynn

Yep, one of the things about having CDL is that the rules are different for even your personal car. Given as this could impact your livlihood, it might be worth talking to a LOCAL attorney to where you are cited to appear to see what he thinks your chances are.
It won't necessarily impact my job as I can get a few tickets in a year before any issue comes up I only got the CDL B for this particular job and don't intend to use it for future employment elsewhere. I wondered if I could plea for a lower citation that does not go on my record, but I don't know that I want to bother or pay to involve a lawyer. I was very nice, admitted my mistake. A ticket is, of course, at his discretion, but I think his discretion sucked. :)

What I've learned from this is having a good driving record means squat and that your friendly neighborhood cop isn't so friendly after all. I try so hard not to play into stereotypes, but this officer makes it REALLLLLY hard for me. Thanks for taking the time to give some advice, appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It won't necessarily impact my job as I can get a few tickets in a year before any issue comes up I only got the CDL B for this particular job and don't intend to use it for future employment elsewhere. I wondered if I could plea for a lower citation that does not go on my record, but I don't know that I want to bother or pay to involve a lawyer. I was very nice, admitted my mistake. A ticket is, of course, at his discretion, but I think his discretion sucked. :)

What I've learned from this is having a good driving record means squat and that your friendly neighborhood cop isn't so friendly after all. I try so hard not to play into stereotypes, but this officer makes it REALLLLLY hard for me. Thanks for taking the time to give some advice, appreciated!
Some people learn to stop at stop signs. Oh well...

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Stop rolling through stop signs. As a bus driver, you should KNOW better. And don't blame the LEO for doing his job because you decided to drive like you didn't have any better sense. :cool:

Just Blue

Picked on is not the right choice of words. More like going out of his way to be an *******. I did it, I'm guilty. I'm asking if this is something I can plea down. Since I don't go to court EVER I don't know how it all works, which is why I'm here in a legal advice forum. If you don't have helpful advice, why not just move on?

If you would like "helpful advice" without legal reality hire an attorney. :rolleyes:

NikiLynn

Stop rolling through stop signs. As a bus driver, you should KNOW better. And don't blame the LEO for doing his job because you decided to drive like you didn't have any better sense. :cool:
I know what I did was wrong, I admitted guilt. That is not the question here. If we all just accepted our guilt and took the licks that came with it, what would be need legal advice and lawyers for? You're missing the entire point of my question.

You're saying people never plea for a lesser violation? Is this forum full of trolls or people with actual advice?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A ticket is, of course, at his discretion, but I think his discretion sucked. :)
I think it was YOUR discretion that sucked. You could have stopped and you decided not to. Oh well, deal with the consequences.

What I've learned from this is having a good driving record means squat and that your friendly neighborhood cop isn't so friendly after all. I try so hard not to play into stereotypes, but this officer makes it REALLLLLY hard for me.
You're very immature. Blaming someone else for what YOU did wrong. Shame on you. You sound like a spoiled brat.

NikiLynn

I think it was YOUR discretion that sucked. You could have stopped and you decided not to. Oh well, deal with the consequences.

You're very immature. Blaming someone else for what YOU did wrong. Shame on you. You sound like a spoiled brat.
Does anyone actually give legal advice on this forum or do you wait for people to post so you can rip them apart for your entertainment?

I'm not contesting the ticket. I'd like to know if I can ask the judge for leniency. Is this normal practice in a court. I am not familiar with court. If anyone has actual legal advice, that'd be great and appreciated.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I know what I did was wrong, I admitted guilt. That is not the question here. If we all just accepted our guilt and took the licks that came with it, what would be need legal advice and lawyers for? You're missing the entire point of my question.

You're saying people never plea for a lesser violation? Is this forum full of trolls or people with actual advice?
The last time I got a speeding ticket, I paid it and took my lumps. I was speeding, the nice young state trooper caught me speeding. No excuses.

The last time I got pulled over, I was driving an out of state car in Texas. I was NOT speeding, cruise control was fully engaged at speed limit. Though that was his excuse, I know it was because my car was an anomaly in that area of Texas. I sure as heck do not fault that young gung-ho sheriff doing his job (as I received a verbal warning).

You blatantly broke the law. Own it. Pay the piper, go forth and sin no more. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">