• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apfortune

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

To make story short I got a ticket talking on a cell phone while driving in New York. I have NY driver license

1st thing he did spell my last name wrong
2nd. Instead of 9 digits driver licence number he entered first 6 even though there enough space for 9.

Do I still have to pay it?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

HomeGuru

To make story short I got a ticket for cell phone in New York. I have NY driver license

1st thing he did spelled my last name wrong
2nd. Instead of 9 digits driver licence number he entered first 6 even though there enough space for 9.

Thanks in advance

**A: there is no law in New York preventing you from having a cell phone.

racer72

To make story short I got a ticket talking on a cell phone while driving in New York. I have NY driver license

1st thing he did spell my last name wrong

Thanks in advance
Neither of these prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation. You have to pay the ticket or contest it, your choice. Deciding to not pay it will get you in a whole lot more trouble.

I'm already paying enough taxes
You are being fined, not taxed. Some considered it voluntary taxation for being stupid.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Minimum $40 fine and a max of $100. Add a state surcharge of $80. No points.

If you fight this and you have any priors for the same offense the judge will almost certainly hit you with a fine which is higher than the minimum. If you pay it by mail it'll be just the minimum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">