• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell Phone Ticket - Written deposition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lschenck00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was given a ticket ostensibly for using a cell phone while operating a moving vehicle. I had not used the phone that particular day and my cell phone bill and record (saved of the phone itself) showed no call being made. I objected at least four times to the officer that I had not been using it, but he insisted he saw me with the phone to my ear (erronious). I decided to fight the charge.

The New York State law and Uniform Traffic violation form provides the right and means to request a written deposition from the accusing officer prior to the court hearing. I requested such a deposition and received a letter purporting to be a "deposition". The last line of the "deposition" states that the officer swears that the information contained is true and subject to the penalties of perjury as spelled out by New York State law. The "deposition" had on the signature line the word "COPY" and nothing else. I disclosed this to the justice of the peace twice and he dismissed the objection - the second time quite arrogantly. Am I mistaken, or is the defendant requesting a written deposition entitled to an instrument signed by the accusing officer? If the instrument is not signed how can the defendant rely that the information it claims is true? I was found guilty of the charge and fined $105.00 even after presenting my clean telephone record to the presiding J.P. - he said "the call may not have gone through" even though the regulation states that a violation has occurred only if a conversation is in progress. The regulation further provides that the act of dialing a phone in order to make a connection does not viloate the provisions of the statute. I was never shown a signed original or copy of the requested "deposition". This was not a case of the issuing officer being a "good guy" and giving me a ticket for a lesser violation instead of a violation which would entail me receiving points on my driving record. I was not committing any violation of any sort. I was very surprised to be pulled over and truly shocked when the officer informed me of the reason for pulling me over -"using a cell phone while operating a moving vehicle."

I appealed the conviction based on the unsigned "deposition" and the hard evidence (telephone record) proving I had not used the phone on the day in question. The appeal was denied. The appellate judge ruled that since the court had a signed copy, the deposition was "subscribed" and valid. He also ruled that the "weight of evidence of the lower court" (presumably just the officer's testimony - he had no corroborating evidence) was sufficient. There was no court stenographer in the lower court proceeding, however, in my appeal I noted that my wife was present in the lower court and can verify everything stated above.

I realize that this involves only a $105.00 fine, however, I have been incensed over the failure of the court system to protect my civil rights. I also feel the actions of the deputy and the justice of the peace bordered on felonious crimes (perjury, filing a false police document, and possibly conspiracy). Is there no defense against a police officer making false accusations? Is the onus on the prosecution (the deputy in this case) to prove a case "beyond a shadow of a doubt" not valid in criminal courts of New York State when it involves a purported traffic offense?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I_Got_Banned

ostensibly
With your permission, I'm making that my "Word of the Day"!

(erronious).
Oops, you mean “erroneous”, right? :eek:

. . . even though the regulation states that a violation has occurred only if a conversation is in progress. The regulation further provides that the act of dialing a phone in order to make a connection does not viloate the provisions of the statute.
What vehicle code section were you cited for “violating”?

Am I mistaken, or is the defendant requesting a written deposition entitled to an instrument signed by the accusing officer?
He did sign the citation, didn't he? Isn't that a clear enough statement that he did in fact believe that you were allegedly on the phone?

If the instrument is not signed how can the defendant rely that the information it claims is true?
Was the officer in court? My guess is if it wasn't his deposition, he would have testified as such... The fact that he didn't deny writing it, confirmed its authenticity to the judge's contentedness. :D

This was not a case of the issuing officer being a "good guy" and giving me a ticket for a lesser violation instead of a violation which would entail me receiving points on my driving record. I was not committing any violation of any sort.
I don’t think officers are trained to be the “good guy”… The average officer will observe an alleged violation and will write up the citation based on those observations. He then signs the ticket attesting it is truthful to the best of his knowledge or otherwise subjecting himself to the penalty of perjury!

There was no court stenographer in the lower court proceeding, however, in my appeal I noted that my wife was present in the lower court and can verify everything stated above.
Your wife, and with all due respect, would be considered a “biased witness”. She stands to benefit, just like you would, from a “Not Guilty” verdict… Whereas the officer would still have the same amount of cash in his checking account regardless of the verdict.

I realize that this involves only a $105.00 fine, however, I have been incensed over the failure of the court system to protect my civil rights
:rolleyes: Which one of your civil rights was violated?
You had your day in court, as well as an opportunity to defend yourself, to face and question your accuser, examine evidence against you, testify on your own behalf, or remain silent if you so choose, …, (did I miss anything?) and when you failed to convince the judge that you were erroneously cited, he found you ”Guilty” and assessed a fine that he would have assessed upon any other citizen who had committed the same violation!

I also feel the actions of the deputy and the justice of the peace bordered on felonious crimes (perjury, filing a false police document, and possibly conspiracy).
Now wait a minute! :confused: One paragraph ago you suggested that the officer should have “LIED” by writing you up for a “DIFFERENT”/lesser violation… And that would have been OK. But to send you an unsigned deposition, one which he could have and would have testified -under oath- as to its authenticity & accuracy, that to you is a felonious crime?

That’s it… I’m changing my Word of the Day…. My Word of the Day for Tuesday, December 9, 2008 is “Hypocrite”!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">