• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell-phone violation in visiting state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lmilla

I recieved a $160 moving violation for talking on my cell phone while living temporarily in California. I am now back in Wisconsin where they do not have this law. Am I required to pay this ticket since there is no equivalent law in my home state? Also using the same logic will it affect my insurance? I very confused on this issue.

Last edited:

CdwJava

If you fail to pay the citation, your license status (or privilege to drive) in CA could be suspended. The matter might also go to collections (so, you can add another $500 or so on top of the $160 you might already owe.

If your CA license is suspended, it is possible that WI might honor that suspension in your state as well (I'm not going to look up the relevant statutes, sorry). So, one way or the other, ignoring this could very well effect you even in WI.

If you want to be over it, then simply pay the fine and put it behind you.

You will have to speak to your insurance company to find out if they will bump your insurance for this violation in CA. Heck, they may never get a copy of it unless you have a CA license and they check that.

cyjeff

Allow me to add to Carl's very good response with this...

You are responsible to follow the traffic laws applicable to the roads on which you are driving.

If you don't like California traffic law, don't drive in California. If you do drive in California, you must follow all the California laws.

Pay your ticket.

Lmilla

Let me clarify what I was really trying to ask: if youre driving in a state other than your home state and recieve a ticket for which there is no equivalent law in your home state, what happens to that ticket legally? I do not have a CA license, and never have.

I'mTheFather

Let me clarify what I was really trying to ask: if youre driving in a state other than your home state and recieve a ticket for which there is no equivalent law in your home state, what happens to that ticket legally? I do not have a CA license, and never have.
Are you asking if the ticket is invalid because you aren't a resident of California??

xylene

CDW answered you question as well as your follow up.

Don't be dense.
The law of the state you are driving in, not your state of license is trump.

You must pay the ticket, or it is extremely likely your drivers privilege would eventually be suspended (IN YOUR HOME STATE) as well as you would rack up significant fines.

Lmilla

xylene

Already clarified.

You have to pay the ticket. Legally.

davew128

let me clarify the answer: Your license will be suspended if you do not pay the ticket. Wait, you already got that answer. :rolleyes:

Isis1

the ticket goes to collections. and your state tax refund may be subject to confiscation. legally you are still required to pay the ticket. if you move to TimBuktu, you will still be required to pay the ticket when you return BACK to the US after 20 years.

racer72

Google "State's Driver's License Compact". Read and weep. The laws of your state are not relevant when driving in another state. Period.

CSO286

An example: North Dakota does not permit right turns on red. Minnesota does.

If I, a Minnesota resident, make an illegal right turn in North Dakota and get ticketed for it, I will have to pay the fine, or risk civil and/or misdemeanor crim traff action up to and including suspension of my Minnesota driver's license.

You don't get a pass simply because the action isn't illegal in your home state.

Heck, there are places in Nevada where prostitution is legal. If those working folks attempted to ply their trade in Minnesota, they woulds still be in trouble. Why? Because the law of the land you are in is the law you must follow.

FlyingRon

California will send you to collections as stated.
Your privilege to drive will be suspended there.

Wisconsin doesn't assign points for out of state convictions (though they may show on your driver record).

Wisconsin will not suspend you license for a out-of-state cell phone violation. Only those serious violations: DUI, eluding, hit and run, reckless, ...

However, with a flag on you from California you may find renewals blocked and you may find that if you go to a different state that they will NOT issue you a license unless you clear yourself in California.

The fact that there is no cell phone law in Wisconsin, is as EVERYBODY HAS TOLD YOU, immaterial.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Wisconsin will not suspend you license for a out-of-state cell phone violation. Only those serious violations...
This would no longer be a simple cell phone violation - it would be a failure to answer a traffic ticket. At that point I don't think it matters what the violation was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">