• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with Fleeing eluding. Can I beat this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Iamastudent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

Here is my take on the alleged crime. I was traveling north on US 131 at 85MPH. An officer was sitting in the median ahead of me and turned on his overhead lights. Directly across from the median was an exit ramp. I saw the lights and was getting off the exit regardless because I needed gasoline. It took 0.7 miles to come to a stop of the end of the off ramp. It wasn't until I came to a stop at the off ramp when the officer was directly behind me with flashing lights only. I signaled and turned onto the overpass and that is when he activated his audible siren. It was that moment when I knew I was being directed to stop. The overpass is 0.5 miles long. I pulled into the first driveway once off the bridge and eventually was arrested.

The prosecutor has offered me a "deal" of attempted fleeing/eluding which is a misdemeanor instead of felony.

I feel like their case is weak but I have never been to a jury trial and do not know the risks I am taking if I do go to trial.

Last edited:

Iamastudent

I am working with a court appointed attorney who practices privately in the town I was arrested in. She of course wants me to plead out but I don't want to deal with the punishment for my alledged crime. I think I have a chance at winning but I do not know what court is like.

asiny

I am working with a court appointed attorney who practices privately in the town I was arrested in. She of course wants me to plead out but I don't want to deal with the punishment for my alledged crime. I think I have a chance at winning but I do not know what court is like.
You need an attorney.
One that you pay for if the CAA is not to your liking.

Silverplum

Alleged.

For the Student: http://www.merriam-webster.com/

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

Here is my take on the allegeded crime. I was traveling north on US 131 at 85MPH. An officer was sitting in the median ahead of me and turned on his overhead lights. Directly across from the median was an exit ramp. I saw the lights and was getting off the exit regardless because I needed gasoline. It took 0.7 miles to come to a stop of the end of the off ramp. It wasn't until I came to a stop at the off ramp when the officer was directly behind me with flashing lights only. I signaled and turned onto the overpass and that is when he activated his audible siren. It was that moment when I knew I was being directed to stop. The overpass is 0.5 miles long. I pulled into the first driveway once off the bridge and eventually was arrested.

The prosecutor has offered me a "deal" of attempted fleeing/eluding which is a misdemeanor instead of felony.

I feel like their case is weak but I have never been to a jury trial and do not know the risks I am taking if I do go to trial.

OHRoadwarrior

Didn't you explain you were only doing 85 so you could coast off the ramp and into the gas station. I'm sure he would have understood then.

The Occultist

You saw the lights were on, and instead of pulling over (even if you are not the one being pulled over, you are still required to pull over and allow the emergency vehicle to pass, yes?), you kept going. You are clearly guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">