• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Belt Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rishi_jhaver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I got a ticket recently for not having my child seated in a car seat. What happened was I was trying to drop off a cousin to her place in Queens (because she wasn't feeling well and didn't have her own transportation) and in order to fit all of us in the back sear we had to put one of the two car seats in the trunk. So my older kid was in my wife's lap and younger kid was in her car seat. Tried explaining to the police officer that I had the car seat. It's just that I was dropping off the cousin which is why the car seat wasn't in place. But he didn't listed to me and gave me the ticket. I'm thinking of pleading not guilty here since I was helping a family member. Also, my record is clean and I do not have any prior tickets. Could you please advise on how should I go about pleading not guilty and what my chances are.

Thank you,
RJ.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I got a ticket recently for not having my child seated in a car seat. What happened was I was trying to drop off a cousin to her place in Queens (because she wasn't feeling well and didn't have her own transportation) and in order to fit all of us in the back sear we had to put one of the two car seats in the trunk. So my older kid was in my wife's lap and younger kid was in her car seat. Tried explaining to the police officer that I had the car seat. It's just that I was dropping off the cousin which is why the car seat wasn't in place. But he didn't listed to me and gave me the ticket. I'm thinking of pleading not guilty here since I was helping a family member. Also, my record is clean and I do not have any prior tickets. Could you please advise on how should I go about pleading not guilty and what my chances are.

Thank you,
RJ.
Not guilty? You ADMIT that it was simply more convenient to compromise the safety of your child.

I really hope that you are forced to listen to a long lecture, as well as being forced to pay the full penalties associated with this. Maybe you'll learn...

Eekamouse

Thank you,
RJ.
Maybe if you had strapped your baby into the car seat you put in the trunk, you could have avoided the ticket. If you didn't have enough room in your car to accommodate everyone, you should have someone at home. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

rishi_jhaver

Maybe if you had strapped your baby into the car seat you put in the trunk, you could have avoided the ticket. If you didn't have enough room in your car to accommodate everyone, you should have someone at home. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Should have mentioned this before - on our way from home to this place both kids were in their car seats, so no issues with that. On the way back home we had to drop off a cousin since she wasn't feeling well. Her folks would have taken time to get back to pick her up, and she wasn't in the best of health. That's what caused the lack of space in the back seat. Is this something I can use in the court for a not guilty?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Should have mentioned this before - on our way from home to this place both kids were in their car seats, so no issues with that. On the way back home we had to drop off a cousin since she wasn't feeling well. Her folks would have taken time to get back to pick her up, and she wasn't in the best of health. That's what caused the lack of space in the back seat. Is this something I can use in the court for a not guilty?
Your Honor, it simply wasn't convenient for me to put the child in to a car seat, so I chose to disregard not only the law, but my child's safety. Because of this, I am entering a not guilty plea in the hopes that you will overlook my utter contempt and disregard for my child's wellbeing.

quincy

It might have been smarter from a ticket standpoint to put both children in their car seats as required by the law and put the cousin in the trunk. ;)

Dave1952

Why was it necessary for you to do this simple task with a full car? If you had left both your wife and the children at home then you could have used the child seat.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No.

No, this is not something you could use in court for a not guilty.

Just like having the car seat in the trunk doesn't count.

No, you don't have my sympathy. You used very poor judgement. Do you know what could happened to your lap child in the event of an accident?

rishi_jhaver

No.

No, this is not something you could use in court for a not guilty.

Just like having the car seat in the trunk doesn't count.

No, you don't have my sympathy. You used very poor judgement. Do you know what could happened to your lap child in the event of an accident?
Thank you everyone for your perspective and the replies.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The judges have heard all the sob stories before. You have no valid excuse.

Expect a guilty verdict along with a fine and points.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">