• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CHP lied too!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hopeterry

What is the name of your state? CA
I need advice. I was given a ticket for going 78mph on a rural road (no speed limit posted, but I think it's 55). I know I was not going 78mph - I was driving the speed limit according to my spedomter, but I also know this is not a good defense. Cop was driving in the other direction when he got my speed - he did not tell me how he got the speed but there is a radar unit number on the ticket. When I told him there was no way I was going 78, he replied sarcastically, "Really!?"
The cop never pulled me over. He must have driven a ways down the road, went over the bridge, and made a u-turn, then followed me a few miles to my work. When I was about to get out of my parked car, he knocked on my window and said, "You were going 78 back there and I was just going to let you off on a warning because you slowed down, but as soon as I left, you sped up." Those are his exact words.
I do not want to plead guilty and go to traffic school (I've never had a speeding ticket) because I was not speeding. However, I feel like I don't have a good defense. What should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">