• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chp ticket on streets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

german129

What is the name of your state?
california

my friend was stopped at a red light in the left turn lane to get onto the freeway when he saw that there was a chp officer behind him. he reached over and put on his seatbelt. then the light turns green and when he is halfway up the onramp the chp officer pulls him over for not wearing the seatbelt. since he was wearing the seatbelt on the freeway, does the chp officer have jurisdiction over the street before he got on to the freeway???

CdwJava

german129 said:
What is the name of your state?
california

my friend was stopped at a red light in the left turn lane to get onto the freeway when he saw that there was a chp officer behind him. he reached over and put on his seatbelt. then the light turns green and when he is halfway up the onramp the chp officer pulls him over for not wearing the seatbelt. since he was wearing the seatbelt on the freeway, does the chp officer have jurisdiction over the street before he got on to the freeway???
The California Hioghway Patrol are state Traffic Officers with jurisdiction throughout the state of California.

Yes, he had jurisdiction on the street.

Oh, and the city cops - AND county sheriffs - have jurisdiction on freeways ... and virtually everywhere in CA as well. The days of Smoky and the Bandit never existed in CA.

- Carl

skylinedo

I can't beleive your friend got a seat belt ticket when warnings are all over the place that they're cracking down on seat belt violators. CHP did your friend a favor; how hard is it to reach over and click the belt in place?

Regarding jurisdiction:
If you are spotted commiting any unlawful act in the presence of Police. They can chase you to anywhere in the US if they have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">