• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citation for operating on suspended registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justmelds

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

So yesterday my husband received a citation for operating my car after the registration had been suspended due to insurance lapsing. He had no knowledge of this and was operating my vehicle without my knowledge. My first question is whether he can be held responsible for this since it was not his car and he didn't know he was in violation of any laws.
He received a citation to appear in court and the instructions on the back say to send the citation to the court specified on the front of the citation within four days to schedule a hearing. The problem is the issuing officer left the box where the court stamp should be blank. My second question is does this invalidate the ticket? And what should we do?

Thank You

The Occultist

It is not the owner's responsibility to ensure compliance, but the driver's responsibility. The citation is for failure to operate a vehicle that is not properly registered, not for owning a vehicle that is not properly registered.

garrula lingua

OP, get your insurance and registration corrected.
Have Hubby go to court with proof of the corrected registration and bring proof of the current insurance. In most courts, they will reduce the fine (or dismiss the ticket) when you show proof of correction; he should ask for a reduction or dismissal.

Occult is right - it is the driver's responsibility to ensure the reg is current.
Saying it's my wife's fault will probably get the Judge mad; saying I thought my wife paid it as she usually does & it's her car, would be received better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">