• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cited by GSP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian27

(Georgia)

I was pulled over for doing 79mph in a 50mph by the state patrol. only problem, i had my cruise set at 70mph and from my vantage point their were no signs visible indicating any change in the speed limit first observed. i did not argue with or get disrespectful to the officer either, mainly because at first it seemed like he was going to admit he stopped the wrong car. From where i was stopped a speed limit sign posting 70mph was visible in the distance. he cited me for speeding and speeding in a construction zone, although at the time no workers were present. he told me he clocked my truck on radar but when he gave me the ticket it said laser was used and listed a calibration date, which is odd considering laser only needs calibrating once a year. he also stated he followed us for over 10 miles, which does not make sense. any advice on how to handle this?

FlyingRon

Visible in the distance is meaningless.

Work zone must have either workers present OR Barriers, on-site work vehicles, or shoulder or pavement drop offs.

Brian27

their are barriers through large portions of I75 in georgia, and plenty without any indication of being a work zone, that and 50mph is not a safe speed on I75, i did 50mph when i went back to take pictures and film the road conditions and almost got hit, several times, and that was at 11pm. the ticket was at 8am in heavy traffic.

FlyingRon

You're not going to win arguing the statutory speed limit is unsafe because everybody else was going faster. In addition to being a patently incorrect and specious argument, the law doesn't provide exclusion for doing so.

If there was as a sign indicating the construction area, and there were barrels or whatever, you must obey the work zone rules.

Brian27

guess i'll follow my primary attorney's advice and hire a traffic attorney to fight the matter with me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">