• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cited for Impeding Traffic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JBlane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

22400(A) - Impede Traffic

I was trying to parallel park and another vehicle, attempting to take my spot, pulled right behind me. Not wanting my spot taken, I didn't move. She didn't move. (Parking is an absolute nightmare.) A cop came and cited me for impeding traffic. I've looked up the citation and have found that it may add a point to my driving record. Problem is, I work on an ambulance and another point will get me kicked off their insurance ... aka, out of a job. My question is, is this really a moving violation, since I was at a complete stop? Will I get a point on my record? Any advice? My court date is in a couple months.

This was late at night, light traffic -- but still a few cars. Four lane street (two each way).

Thanks. :/

CdwJava

Yes, if convicted, it is a "moving" violation. The term does not mean that the vehicle is in motion, necessarily, but that the vehicle was being operated by a driver at the time of the offense.

This might be something for which it will be worth it to consult an attorney.

JBlane

I was double parked for maybe ... 5 minutes? Certainly long enough. Letter of the law vs spirit. I realize the officer was just doing his job, I respect that and that's all I say on that. My main concern is getting that point. If traffic school is an option, I'd rather go that route, but the ticket was marked non-correctable, so I don't know if that's an option?

I would have pulled forward and backed fully into the spot, but the person behind me wouldn't move and would have taken the parking spot had I pulled up further. The reason she couldn't move around me is because she pulled right up to my bumper so I couldn't back in at all. I parallel park by pulling side by side with the car ahead and backing in. I was parallel with the empty spot because I was measuring to see if my car would fit.

I am hoping if I just tell the judge or whomever the truth, worst case scenario they will approve traffic school? So I'll pay the fines, but at least it won't show up as a point..

CdwJava

If traffic school is an option, I'd rather go that route, but the ticket was marked non-correctable, so I don't know if that's an option?
Yes, that would be an option. A "correctable" violation has to do with equipment or registration issues.

You will likely be offered traffic school on any courtesy notice you might receive. You can also ask about this at arraignment if pleading guilty and requesting traffic school is the way you want to go. But, if you could lose your job as a result of this, it might be in your best interest to speak with an attorney that deals with traffic matters in your area just so that you might know your options.

JBlane

RGuilany: Doesn't it?

CdwJava: You're right, that's probably my best option..no reason to not pull out all the stops. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">