• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cited for Suspended License after Paying Fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OhioMike

I live in Ohio and got my first speeding ticket in Dec 2011, driving 70 in a 55mph area. I was expecting a statement in the mail on the cost of the fine and where to remit payment. The first week in Feb 2012, received a letter from Ohio BMV stating my drivers license was suspended for not paying traffic ticket. I immediately contacted BMV who told me I had to pay fine directly to county muni court and a $25 BMV license reinstatement fee. I paid the $25 BMV fee the same day (Feb 9) then contacted the county muni court who told me what my fine was and where to remit. The next day I sent a certified check to the muni court for the traffic ticket. I received a court order letter on Feb 14 indicating full payment and release of forfeiture. At this point both fine and reinstatement fee was paid.

On Feb 17 I was pulled over at my son's elementary school, while dropping him off, for code 4510.12 Operating a Motor Vehicle without a Valid License and for code 4510.22 Suspension of License for Failure to Pay Fine. I told the officer I had paid both my traffic fine and BMV reinstatement fee. He told me to go down to the local BMV and take the documentation issued from the muni court and process the license reinstatement on the spot. Two hours after getting pulled over on Feb 17, I went down to the BMV and had my license reinstated.

I have a court appearance tomorrow morning because of the two citations from this officer. I have documentation proving that all of my fines and reinstatement fee was paid prior to the two citations on Feb 17, however when I talked to the muni court, they said that their process to notify the BMV is usually 2-3 weeks after their court issues a release of forfeiture. My beef is that it's convenient for officers and state highway patrol to have instant access to data and an ability to share data, but when it comes to the lack of efficiency between this muni court and the BMV to automatically update records of payment, it costs me time and money.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
Thx!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Advice on what? You said you already have the documentation to present to the court. What are you looking for?

Additionally, posting this late in the afternoon the day before your court appearance and expecting to get some advice is probably overly optimistic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">