• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizen Warrants - Bad Idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaddikJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

We were driving home on a rural but busy highway (US 285, through South Park, for those familiar w/ Colorado). Typical Sunday driving conditions - I passed a few RVs & trucks, and got passed by a few sedans (we were in a van). All of a sudden, there's a county patrol car behind me w/ lights flashing. I take the next pullout & am informed that someone has accused me of careless driving - says I cut in too quick while passing & followed too close before that. The officer issues a ticket/summons.

I'm shocked: Several years before, someone pulled out directly in front of me from a service yard at the entrance to a tunnel on a busy interstate; if there hadn't been a lucky break in the left lane traffic, I'd have creamed them for sure - in the tunnel. I got make & license number & called the police once out of the tunnel. Unlike the person who accused me & got a visit from an obliging officer, I had to drive to a police station to fill out a report, and the desk officer apologetically informed me that since there were no other witnesses, there wasn't much he could do. I told him I understood - not in a million years would I expect that they'd issue a summons based just on my say-so. I just thought if they saw the vehicle they might stop it & inform the driver about what she almost caused.

So I'm a little irritated that my choices are to pay the rather stiff fine & take 2 points on my license, or to make a 180 mile round trip, but I choose the latter & appear in court this morning, only to find that it's only an arraignment, and I still have another court date (this, after pleading not guilty). But I did ask the Judge to dismiss the charge: Since it rested soley on the uncorroborated accusation of one individual - no witnesses, no one else complained about my driving - I naively thought that that put it well within Reasonable Doubt, if not frivolous. The Judge seemed a little amused, and informed me that the courts regard an unsupported accusation as sufficient reason to hold a trial (I resisted the urge to ask the Judge if he would feel that way if I hung around until quitting time, and then issued a Citizen's Complaint if he failed to come to a complete stop before exiting the courthouse parking lot).

Am I the only one that thinks this is nuts? That anyone who gets pissed at you on the road, for any reason, can swear out a complaint & have you dragged into court? Would I be foolish to tell the Judge at my next appearance that my position has not changed - that it's a he said/he said situation, and that, de-facto, there's reasonable doubt? I thought this was a foundational legal concept.

I learned at the arraignment that my accuser is from out of state, so there's a good chance he won't show. In that case, should the case be dismissed? I do have the right to confront my accuser, right? . . .

. . . except that I just got a letter from the local DA stating that they've dug up two witnesses - jebus, is there no end to the rabbits they can pull out of their hats? - so where does this place the matter vis a vis the original accuser?

BTW, the letter said that as a "courtersy" to me, I could, in person only, get copies of the entire case (at my expense, of course). I'm thinking of hiring a local attorney (it's a 90-mile drive).

Thoughts?

Thanks much,

PJ in Colorado

CdwJava

The police cannot be everywhere all the time so the system relies on citizens to report crimes and to go on record with the offense they observed. In this case, it does not seem that any "citizen warrant" was issued, but, instead a driver called the cops and reported you and a trooper was in the area to make the stop.

If the courts were to routinely drop cases that were made by complaining parties, the courts would be a lot quieter since few crimes occur in the presence of officers. In this case, it would not have been the judge's place to drop the matter but would be the place of the DA (if these are handled through a prosecutor in Colorado).

Yes, when it does go to trial, it will be the complaining witness versus you. Is it likely you will prevail? Yes. So long as no admission is made, it will be you and your passengers verses the other guy and his passengers. Reasonable doubt may well be built in to this. Unfortunately for you, the system operates on complaints by citizens and they cannot simply ignore it because there is only one or two witnesses.

- Carl

Maestro64

As Carl pointed out you will have to show up at the trial and see if the person who filed the complaint shows up in court.

I am assuming the officer indicated on the ticket that someone else witness what happen and he issue the ticket solely on those grounds. If not the officer can show up at court and forget about the entire road side conversation and read from the ticket and claim he witness you doing what was written on the ticket.

However, if it clear the ticket was write due to someone's complaint and they do not show up at court you asked for an immediate dismissal due lack of a witness and they are infringing on your right to confront your accuser.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">