• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizens Arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

absconder

What is the name of your state?CA or all 50. Can a citizen arrest a police officer if theyre breaking the law not involved in their official duties?Say like not signaling when turning into the donut shop,speeding,parked illegally etc...Im not talking about responding to a code red here just breaking the law.

A

absconder

Videotape

I already have a video tape of 2 cops sitting in a parking lot doing the 69 for 1.5 hours. Its funny cus it was close to my house, I did it to show my friends.But cops do break the law alot while driving,I think a few minutes on tape shown to their superiors might qualify them for a drivers ed course. :eek:

CdwJava

absconder said:
What is the name of your state?CA or all 50. Can a citizen arrest a police officer if theyre breaking the law not involved in their official duties?Say like not signaling when turning into the donut shop,speeding,parked illegally etc...Im not talking about responding to a code red here just breaking the law.
Well ... you can TRY ... but in all practicality, it ain't gonna go anywhere. And a C/A for an infraction?

The best bet is to call and report the officer or vehicle to the agency involved.

But, keep in mind that there ARE things we can do that others can't ... there are also things that some of us do that we shouldn't. I encourage my officers to drive as they expect the public to drive and to be an example - not an exception. So when *I* hear reports of my officers driving like idiots, I take action.

But a citizen's arrest wouldn't be the way to go.

- Carl

CdwJava

absconder said:
I already have a video tape of 2 cops sitting in a parking lot doing the 69 for 1.5 hours. Its funny cus it was close to my house, I did it to show my friends.But cops do break the law alot while driving,I think a few minutes on tape shown to their superiors might qualify them for a drivers ed course. :eek:
Then bring it the attention of their supervisors.

- carl

RE: "I already have a video tape of 2 cops sitting in a parking lot doing the 69 for 1.5 hours."

They are writing their reports and covering each others back while writing, 1.5 hours they must not have had to many reports to do and they didn't get a radio call. You must live in a nice quiet city.

CdwJava

RetiredMotor said:
RE: "I already have a video tape of 2 cops sitting in a parking lot doing the 69 for 1.5 hours."

They are writing their reports and covering each others back while writing, 1.5 hours they must not have had to many reports to do and they didn't get a radio call. You must live in a nice quiet city.
When I worked in your neck of the woods, we had a sector of the city that got REAL slow after about 0200 and we used to get together to keep ourselves awake - reports or not. It was coffee and conversation rather than driving around nodding off.

Ah, the good ol' days of pushing a beat car around on graveyards. ;)

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">