• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Infractions in Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cantbeatthelaw

I was involved in a car accident with a reckless driver. After he intentionally cut me off and hit me, we pulled over to exchange papers. He called me filthy names and scared me to death. I took down his plate number and drove off. I called the police and reported the accident 10 minutes later. The cop told me to file a complaint with the registry, which I did. Apparently, after I drove off, the "crazy man" called the police and told the officer that I hit him and drove off without exchanging papers. I was cited for several civil infractions along with a criminal citation for leaving the scene of an accident. I was found at fault for the accident and will get a surcharge and have to eat the deductible. I have appealed the citations and the surcharge. The insurance company told me that if I beat all 5 citations, they will consider reimbursing my deductible. Something is wrong here!!! Can an officer cite me for something he did not witness? What are my chances of beating this?

racer72

Can an officer cite me for something he did not witness?
Sure he can. You weren't there to refute the evidence and you sure made it look like a hit and run with you at fault.

What are my chances of beating this?
Without an attorney, slim and none and slim just left town.

The Occultist

OP, I'm having a hard time understanding why you didn't remain at the scene and wait for the police to show up. Had you remained on scene, and the events truly did unfold as you have described, you likely would not have had any problems.

As Racer implied, you need to get an attorney. That will be your only chance to beat any of these citations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">